Converting Aqualife T5HO to Dimmable Ballasts

Philfree37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

Could use some lighting experts help, please!

The blue picture is the dimmable ballast we purchased from Aqualife directly. The other photo is from the Aqualife website showing what we have currently.

I have not disassembled the fixture yet. I wanted to wait until I was sure how to add the new ballast in.

Everything looks the same on both ballast except for the two dimmable connections to the top left. I was planning on using Kasa Smart plugs to operate the ramping up and ramping down. My current T5HO fixture does not come with the cables required to hook up the dimmable connectors.

Does anyone have experience with upgrading from the regular ballast to the dimmable ballast with the T5HO and how you did it? Thank you!!

20240108_185456-1.jpg

Screenshot_392.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

Could use some lighting experts help, please!

The blue picture is the dimmable ballast we purchased from Aqualife directly. The other photo is from the Aqualife website showing what we have currently.

I have not disassembled the fixture yet. I wanted to wait until I was sure how to add the new ballast in.

Everything looks the same on both ballast except for the two dimmable connections to the top left. I was planning on using Kasa Smart plugs to operate the ramping up and ramping down. My current T5HO fixture does not come with the cables required to hook up the dimmable connectors.

Does anyone have experience with upgrading from the regular ballast to the dimmable ballast with the T5HO and how you did it? Thank you!!

20240108_185456-1.jpg

Screenshot_392.jpg
Hmm most ballasts dim using a 0-10v dc signal on the dim circuit.

How would a smart plug provide this?

Since most don't dim to off you need a timer to completely shut the ballast off.

enrik_from_vallejo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you would need a controller compatible with with the T5 lights you have. Hope this helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back