Copper Mistake...

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I had removed all of the copper from my QT tank before introducing a new batch of fish today, but just checked and am showing a 1.5ppm reading. I'm \ using copper power and the Hanna checker. Should I just leave the fish in the 1.5 or should I work to reduce the amount of copper? I know I'm supposed to ramp up. Any help would be great.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new fish are eating, I would leave it. If they are not, I would do a big water change and start from a level of about 1.
What kind of fish did you add?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several tangs, chromis, wrasse
Generally speaking, the wrasse is the one I'd be worried about. They generally require a slow introduction of copper to prevent problems.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, the wrasse is the one I'd be worried about. They generally require a slow introduction of copper to prevent problems.

Thanks for the reply, He's a cleaner wrasse he seems to be acting normal. I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow when I put the lights on. Outside of them not eating hopefully I won't see any other detrimental effects

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I defer to @Big G who knows way more than I. That's kinda why I asked what kind of fish, there are certain ones that dont do well in copper and need to go slow.
What about trying to feed tonight. If wrasse is not eating, I would lower the level tonight. I have never started a wrasse above 1 based on the advice of the R2R experts like Big G.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back