Copperband butterfly reef safe?

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how my tank is. Yeah he's eating the blood worms and I also add a mixture of mysis and bryne. It has some other stuff in it, but my wrasse loves it. I have had an issue with my yellow tang. I have never had an issue with any other fish with him. He may bother them for a minute, but leaves them alone from then on out. When I put the copperband in he started with his usual, but was a little more aggressive. The thing is that he would not leave the cbb alone. So, I took the yellow tang out and he is in the sump in time out. I just don't know if I want to put him back in and him be aggressive again and then have to take the tank apart again to catch it. Any wisdom someone can pass on with this?

To be honest, you may have to lose the tang to keep the CBB. IME, CBBs are generally sweet and shy fish. Not very territorial and they love to keep to themselves. Since they are generally shy fish , fish picking on them will stress them out immensely.

If you aren't interested in losing the tang, your best bet is getting a bigger alpha fish, or perhaps, one of those fake lion fish props that inhibit bullying type fish. I forget what they're called lol... Always see them in the LFS tanks

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to Michael on the phone real nice guy and am going to give it a try. He said that they are already eating mysis and hopefully it will go good. I have a good bit of sponges and some feather dusters in there for him to eat while he gets acclimated. Fingers crossed. I'll keep the thread updated as it goes. I plan on getting som black worms as well to feed. So, hopefully that will help.

Best of luck with all of that, if you can witness the CBB eating mysis before you purchase, you're already on the right track for success.

Another issue you want to research with CBBs, is the method of capture. In other countries, CBBs are, unfortunately, one of the many fishes that are captured with the use of cyanide. A perfectly healthy CBB caught with cyanide can be stellar and alive one day, and dead as ****e the next.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves feeding time :rolleyes:

image.jpeg

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my copper band for a little while now going on 3 weeks or so. He's healthy and happy and eating awesome. Started eating on like day three and hasn't stopped.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my copper band for a little while now going on 3 weeks or so. He's healthy and happy and eating awesome. Started eating on like day three and hasn't stopped.
Wooop woop, keep that fishie real nice and fat. Big fat tummies on CBBs are like big fat tummies on girraffes. EPIC. :cool:

Yolo Thorn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB just started attacking my 3 new tridacna clams within 20 min of their introduction to the tank. No Bueno for the CBB

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back