Copperband butterfly reef safe?

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on CBB and difficulty in getting them to eat and I 100% agree with Paul on live blackworms.

My solution to the CBB dilemma was to get the Aussie Marginalis butterfly instead. More expensive but much hardier and looks like a CBB without one of the stripes. I'd rather buy one $180 butterfly then watch four $40 CBB slowly starve to death. I started mine on live blackworms and it ate aggressively. I then started replacing blackworm feeding with LRS Fish Frenzy in a veggie clip. It has blackworms in it. My other fish went after the food in clip and the butterfly soon followed. It prefers eating from clip then putting food into tank. I think it's more natural with the long nose to take off clip as if finding food in a crevice. Now eats directly from my hand if I choose to feed that way. Fish now eats LRS reef, fish, fertility, herbivore (loves the algae) frenzy foods, LRS fish eggs and nori. Doesn't eat flake and I don't feed pellets. Has never touched coral of any kind and I keep a mixed reef. Nyaquatic gets the Marginalis and I'm pretty confident Jordan/Among The Reef can get them if requested
image.jpeg

Rachenbrazil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is growing well in last 6 months, almost an inch. It just eats frozen clams half shell. Never touched a coral but have tried to nip new small crocea clams but hopefully aditional frozen clams daily cut off the picking on new clams.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay interesting. Does anyone have any experience getting them from nyaquatics they say that they get all of them to eat mysis before shipping, but what are y'alls luck on them? I'm not wanting to get one for aiptasia I had shrimp that knocked them out in a week and they haven't come back (knock on wood) I just really like them and want one. So figured I would come on here and ask. My lfs says to stay away from them because they are hard to get to eat and was talking to me about getting an African flame ask angelfish. I just have my heart set on a copper band. If I was to get one any suggestions on who to order from to get a good copper band butterfly from? So it sounds like black worms or mysis is the way to go to feed them correct? I really appreciate the input thank you.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one from ny. It ate right away no problem. Did great during initial qt and seemed happy in dt. Unfortunately I can not speak to long term health as it was one of the fish I lost to a illness/predator issue in my tank. I had a eunice worm, rock crabs and I am ruling out if any illness played a role. The illness would not have likely come from the CBB but fish I didn't QT. I am working with a CBB from a different source and it would not eat at first. It is being a lot more difficult than the one from NY. I just got it accepting blackworms and frozen brine. I was going through feather duster rocks like mad just to keep it alive!

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an African Flameback Angel and although it pretty much leaves my corals alone I can't say the same about other fish and won't get another. They're aggressive and I've lost a borbonius and a Dottyback because of this Flameback. I'd give this Angel a lot of thought. As for the CBB contact Michael and request a video of it eating is a thought

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an African Flameback Angel and although it pretty much leaves my corals alone I can't say the same about other fish and won't get another. They're aggressive and I've lost a borbonius and a Dottyback because of this Flameback. I'd give this Angel a lot of thought. As for the CBB contact Michael and request a video of it eating is a thought

Good idea how do I contact him to get a video of one eating and so forth? Interesting didn't know of their aggression.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to Michael on the phone real nice guy and am going to give it a try. He said that they are already eating mysis and hopefully it will go good. I have a good bit of sponges and some feather dusters in there for him to eat while he gets acclimated. Fingers crossed. I'll keep the thread updated as it goes. I plan on getting som black worms as well to feed. So, hopefully that will help.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did come across a regal angel on nyaquatics that I'm looking at now. They both eat, but I'm having a hard time making a decision.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all I ended up with a copperband butterfly. I have had him for a few days and its the first day he started eating. It was only a few blood worms, but I'll take it. Atleast its a start. I have also been putting half a clam in there for the past couple days. I think its been taking bites or my wrasse gets a hold of it in the morning when he gets up.

Mark9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cbb was timid at first, but once he saw the other fish eating, he went for it.
I feed my fish only Larry's reef frenzy, which has a bit of everything in it.
I thaw it in RO water, swish it around to break it up, then feed a small scoop at a time..
The cbb first started on the shrimp pieces, now eats whatever hits the water.
He's now the most aggressive eater
Larry's food is the best, give it a try.
Oh, and mine is totally reef safe, so far, in a tank with zoas, leathers, lps and a couple sps.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how my tank is. Yeah he's eating the blood worms and I also add a mixture of mysis and bryne. It has some other stuff in it, but my wrasse loves it. I have had an issue with my yellow tang. I have never had an issue with any other fish with him. He may bother them for a minute, but leaves them alone from then on out. When I put the copperband in he started with his usual, but was a little more aggressive. The thing is that he would not leave the cbb alone. So, I took the yellow tang out and he is in the sump in time out. I just don't know if I want to put him back in and him be aggressive again and then have to take the tank apart again to catch it. Any wisdom someone can pass on with this?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 100 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back