Copperband laying down with heavy breathing. Help

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this copperband for the past few days in an acclimation box made from eggcrate. He has been eating ok. He pecks at and eats a couple pieces of food each time I feed. He has seemed to be doing fine until I woke up this morning to find him laying on his side with extreme heavy breathing and no interest in food anymore. Attached below is a video of this behavior. He was not quarantined as I didn't want to risk a qt with an already sensitive copperband. Thank You.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is starting to swim around a little bid but is still breathing heavy and not being very active.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this copperband for the past few days in an acclimation box made from eggcrate. He has been eating ok. He pecks at and eats a couple pieces of food each time I feed. He has seemed to be doing fine until I woke up this morning to find him laying on his side with extreme heavy breathing and no interest in food anymore. Attached below is a video of this behavior. He was not quarantined as I didn't want to risk a qt with an already sensitive copperband. Thank You.

Sorry to see that!

The fish is moribund, close to death, so there isn't anything that you can really do for it as this point. It is VERY thin, and so, if you've only had it a few days, it was mostly starved when you got it. The rapid breathing may be due to it being moribund, but it could also have some gill disease.

As a side note - I avoid keeping CBB in egg crate as it is rough on their snout (see how in the second video, it is poking its snout through the holes?).

Jay

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that!

The fish is moribund, close to death, so there isn't anything that you can really do for it as this point. It is VERY thin, and so, if you've only had it a few days, it was mostly starved when you got it. The rapid breathing may be due to it being moribund, but it could also have some gill disease.

As a side note - I avoid keeping CBB in egg crate as it is rough on their snout (see how in the second video, it is poking its snout through the holes?).

Jay
Is there anything i could try? I have just released him into my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is there anything i could try? I have just released him into my tank.
Often when moribund there is nothing you can add or do as they are in essence deteriorating. Any injury on fish body from eggcrate?
You can try adding oxygen with air stone to perk it up but often makes no difference.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 110 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back