*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see marine depot will be doing live testing this week of copper with Hanna checker. See how
Strong reefers are. That’s why we need to band copper safe.

R2R is a powerful thing, I will be very interested to see what products they test!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot indicates the Hanna is in stock. However, when you order one they charge your CC and then send an email telling you it is back ordered.
Marine Depot was slow responding to my queries. They had already shipped the Hanna Checker before they sent the out of stock email. Guess they shipping faster than their inventory system can keep up.
All good.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple solution is to use copper power, IMO. I ordered more from another source recently, I tested all 3 bottles yesterday. (I am now up to checking around a dozen bottles from 3 different sources) They are all within +/-.05ppm of 2.5ppm. I just started another round of QT as well with some wrasse and other fish for @4FordFamily. Fish are settled in and eating. I started copper yesterday, again using copper power, 2 doses yesterday that should have gave me a reading of .25ppm and test was .27ppm. It doesn't get much closer than that! Just my .02

Yes - that's seems to be the best option. The main problem is that Coppersafe and Cupramine are much easier to find and I unfortunately had just purchased a new bottle of Coppersafe 2 weeks before finding this thread! ;Sour

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my checker today, looks like I was pretty spot on with the API kito_O

Of course, I had to pull the fish out of copper the day I bought it to give a chance for a bacterial infection to heal.;Facepalm
20180522_123825.jpg

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that's seems to be the best option. The main problem is that Coppersafe and Cupramine are much easier to find and I unfortunately had just purchased a new bottle of Coppersafe 2 weeks before finding this thread! ;Sour
You can get copper power on amazon

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fun! Thank you for calling in! Your participation really tied it all together. :)

Jeff @ Marine Depot

Ha thanks, that was a cool call. Best conference call I've ever been on. You are welcome I enjoyed it!

I didn't expect @Hanna Instruments to give me recognition or anything like that!

Lots of good info pertaining to the hobby. Unfortunately I dropped the call shortly after Kevin and I were done speaking, so I missed the end. Since it was recorded is there a way to get a link for others to hear the call, and so I can hear the end?

Last edited:

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha thanks, that was a cool call. Best conference call I've ever been on.

I didn't expect @Hanna Instruments to give me recognition or anything like that!

Lots of good info pertaining to the hobby. Unfortunately I dropped the call shortly after Kevin and I were done speaking, so I missed the end. Since it was recorded is there a way to get a link for others to hear the call, and so I can hear the end?

Yep! We'll host the audio so you can download it. We are putting together some links to topics discussed on the call as well. We'll share tomorrow!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! We'll host the audio so you can download it. We are putting together some links to topics discussed on the call as well. We'll share tomorrow!
Good deal! Thanks!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Anyway you could add a quick reference chart with the various copper solutions and their targeted hannah checker reading numbers? I know that I just spent sometime looking for something like that and think that it would help out a lot of people.

My other question, forgive me if this has been discussed already, is that if I am using copper sulfate powder, I want my reading to be between 0.15 and 0.20 but the level of discrepancy with the test is 0.05 which means that if I am reading 0.15 it could possible only be .10, which mean I would want to dose it high and get a reading of 0.20 but same range of error could have me at 0.25 and be toxic to the fish any thoughts or clarification on that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks Anyway you could add a quick reference chart with the various copper solutions and their targeted hannah checker reading numbers? I know that I just spent sometime looking for something like that and think that it would help out a lot of people.

My other question, forgive me if this has been discussed already, is that if I am using copper sulfate powder, I want my reading to be between 0.15 and 0.20 but the level of discrepancy with the test is 0.05 which means that if I am reading 0.15 it could possible only be .10, which mean I would want to dose it high and get a reading of 0.20 but same range of error could have me at 0.25 and be toxic to the fish any thoughts or clarification on that?

Are you wanting me to tell you the recommended therapeutic levels for each type? I could match every product if dosed exactly except coppersafe.

In regards to Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, yes it carries a very tight therapeutic window. Honestly if I wanted to use it to treat fish often, I would consider the low range model checker that reads in ppb. This would allow the 5% tolerance to keep you much more accurate. Then you could look for a reading of 150-200ppb keeping you within your narrow window.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my new Hanna test kit shipped two days ago. Will be here tomorrow. Next round of fish I will compare the chemetrics and the Hanna just for kicks. as luck would have it, my qt is tied up and live aquaria has nice pyramid butterflies ! Next time !

Please post your results. I would like to use the rest of my Chemectrics tests before getting the Hanna checker.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update with a different batch #0467FID101 - 1ml > 1 gallon > 1.89ppm

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back