Coral Beauty Velvet?

Swalt20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! One month ago I noticed some white spots on my Coral Beauty. It appeared to be Ich. As they were large and fell off after a period of time. After transferring him to a QT tank and copper treatment I see no positive changes.

He’s getting worse. The dots are now smaller — Labored breathing and struggling for oxygen. Does this look like ich or velvet? Is it too late to save him?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_3466.jpeg IMG_3465.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! One month ago I noticed some white spots on my Coral Beauty. It appeared to be Ich. As they were large and fell off after a period of time. After transferring him to a QT tank and copper treatment I see no positive changes.

He’s getting worse. The dots are now smaller — Labored breathing and struggling for oxygen. Does this look like ich or velvet? Is it too late to save him?

Thanks for any help!

IMG_3466.jpeg IMG_3465.jpeg

It does look VERY ill. What copper product are you using and what is the current test reading?

Jay

OP
OP
S

Swalt20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look VERY ill. What copper product are you using and what is the current test reading?

Jay

Seachem Cupramine Copper​

The current copper reading is 1.5 ppm, But the test is pretty old. Almost expired

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

The current copper reading is 1.5 ppm, But the test is pretty old. Almost expired
Ouch- max is .5 and your treatment is overdosed. Place fish in clean container…. Do an 80 percent water change and go to .5 maximum level

OP
OP
S

Swalt20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch- max is .5 and your treatment is overdosed. Place fish in clean container…. Do an 80 percent water change and go to .5 maximum level
Do you think a fresh water dip would help? Ouch is right! I’ve moved him into a clean container while I get the copper correct! Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think a fresh water dip would help? Ouch is right! I’ve moved him into a clean container while I get the copper correct! Thank you!
FW dip may stress it more but you can try it with added air stone
It will be a risk though

OP
OP
S

Swalt20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip may stress it more but you can try it with added air stone
It will be a risk though
Thank you. I’ll hold off on the FW dip.

Ill send an update within the next couple of days. Thank you for your help! The coral beauty and I appreciate it!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cupramine needs to be dosed between 0.5 and 0.6 ppm. The risk here though is if your test kit is giving false positive, you’ll drop the copper too low and the fish will die from its disease.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Swalt20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish died. We did an 85% water change and dosed to .6ppm. Unfortunately his disease overtook him relatively quickly after that.

Thank you for all the help everyone!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back