coral feeding

awelds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently have gbt anemone, crocea clam, long-tentacle toadstool, yellow tonga leather coral, mushroom polyp, birds nest coral, favia morph, and i believe a small frag of acropora. can all thier nutritional requirements be satisfied through photsynthetic algae or should i be feeding with something. right now i focus on feeding the few fish i have and just maintaining water parameters. all coral, fish, and inverts in my tank seem to be healthy and happy. lighting is 2 150mh and 2 130watt dual actinics for a 55 gallon tank. replies appreciated!

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pick up some Rod's food. It'll cover all of your bases.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental feeding wouldn't be a bad thing, but essentially all of their "needs" can be met through photosynthesis. You are likely to get accelerated growth if feeding, but pay close attention to water quality as you are essentially adding more organics to the water column.

kgehrke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed Rod's, and like the results, but like jaytizzle said, if you feed to much your water quality will crash fast.

OP
OP
A

awelds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your responses. i guess you would just follow the dosing requirements per my 55 gallons and then check water parameters every day until i know what works for my reef. as far as overfeeding goes what parameter would be the first to go and so on, just so i know what to look for other than a algae out break.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate, but phosphate is difficult to pick up on a test without using a photometer.

OP
OP
A

awelds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will probably wait until i get a digital nitrate monitor before i start regular feedings. i have a digital ph meter and boy is that a nice convenance. i wish i had the cash to go digital across the board. for the parameters they have for anyway.

bluebeltreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never added or fed my sps directly. lots of fish ='s lots of poop. ive heard poop is good coral food.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back