Coral grey out

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having a problem with some of my sps turning a grey color. Not really turning white like they’re dying but more grey. My phosphates are about .05 and my nitrates are hovering about 30 on the Hanna tester. They’re sitting in about 300 par with Radion WWC schedule light and Orphek bars. I also run GFO and carbon. The flow is four mp40s in the tank and my two xf350 gyres. In terms of alk it normally hovers 8.5-9 range and calc is at 450. Not sure why they would be graying out really
IMG_8984.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS and Mysis, nori seaweed.

For dosing, ionic B two part as well as some acropower

OP
OP
S

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS is Larry’s Reef Supply. It’s a brand of frozen fish food similar to Rods or Hikaru. I don’t feed any corals additives minus the once or twice reef roids if that. Mostly feed fish heavily.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a color boost after removing carbon from my frag tank. Could also be something getting past your RODI or something leaching from a pump. May also try testing your water. Could be a lack of some minor or trace element. Just some ideas.

OP
OP
S

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a color boost after removing carbon from my frag tank. Could also be something getting past your RODI or something leaching from a pump. May also try testing your water. Could be a lack of some minor or trace element. Just some ideas.
I sent in two icps and the only trace element that came back a little low was iodine. I’m thinking maybe it is something to do with the carbon and GFO running too. Might turn it off and see how everything looks after a few weeks or so.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS don't love GFO even when I run it at a fraction of the dose and don't drop phosphates to fast.. I was also thinking trace but if ICP looked good. RunningUV?

OP
OP
S

sllral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope no uv on the tank, I had one for a couple years but decided to take it off.

Back