Coralfarm biological filtration

Fant4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have 2 tanks 100"x40"x16" for a total of 600 gallon. And wanna make a SPS / LPS propagation coral frags system.
I wanted to know what you think is the best way for biological filtration and removal of nitrates? I don't want to use the DSB for an easier and faster maintenance of the tank. Currently I have only a 1 centimeter of sand and nothing else. I put 100 pounds of live rocks in sump, is enough?... or should I make something else for the biological filtration?

System have 5 months old and have NO3 30 PO4 0

Thanks and sorry for my english.

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool set-up, I think your options are a remote DSB using 5 gal buckets or a media reactor with bio-pellets!

OP
OP
F

Fant4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets really works??? In italy no many people use it... How much ml i need to use and flow rate???

For RDSB a 5 gal buckets is enough for my system?

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Warner Marine EcoBak pellets and I recommend them, DSB buckets can be daisy chained so are easy to add if you test high levels.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your english is fine and better then mine.

I would use macro algaes in a refugium.

But that's just my .02

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reccommend setting up another tank as a DSB/Live rock tank then add one more for macro. 40 breeders would work and are honestly super cheap stateside. You could also use a plastic barrel or feeding trough depending on what you have access to. Keep it easy though or maintenance will suffer.

OP
OP
F

Fant4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cdness i don't understand sorry. What i have to do? Another tank for dsb o macro algae? 40 breeders is?

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36" x 18" x 16"
40br.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder aquariums. Specific dimensions as mentioned above. Use two of them. One for a Deep Sandbed and one for a fuge with macroalgaes growing. This will help with your Nitrate issues. Also you could add more rock in one to add to the biological filtration of the live rock in the sump.

OP
OP
F

Fant4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if i remove all live rocks (i think my nitrate problem is for detritus in live rock) and use a biopellets reactor, i have read that all bacteria live in this biological support (pellets).... can work?

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fant,

I've had a couple of frag systems going for a while - one is about 50 gallons (60"x16"x12"),and is tied to my main display and the other is about 120 gallons (96"x24"12") and is free-standing with its own sump.

If found its best not to put any substrate in the frag tanks. I use egg-crate elevated to about mid-depth to place my corals and plugs on. I keep the area under the egg-crate as clear as possible and wash this area (beneath the egg-crate) with heavy flow. This prevents any detritus from accumulating anywhere on the bottom. You don't want the egg-crate to go wall to wall, cut the egg-crate into panels with enough room to push them around should you need to reach the bottom or clean the sides. Working with less water over your corals is much easier and you clean up crew can get access to the undersides of your plugs. Get your flow and clean-up crew right, and there should be little or no maintenance in the propagation tanks.

I think 100 lbs of live rock in the sump is ample for nitrification and since your not letting detritus accumulate anywhere nitrates shouldn't ever become much of an issue - what you actually may find is that your tanks are too clean for optimal growth. (depending on what your raising). Water changes will take care it.

If for some reason you do build up nitrates (or phosphates), a small sulphur denitrator running in a 5 gallon water jug would be more than enough to take care of your entire system. Its a little unconventional but I've been running one on my main display and 50 gal frag tank for a couple of years with no need for dosing, next to zero maintenance, no chance for bacterial blooms and no cycle spikes.

Last edited:

HealthyTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fant4
There are many ways to use biological filtration for removal of nitrates. I prefer remote DSBs, lots of macro algae and a BB frag tank.

Don

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back