Coralife Dissapointment

OldGoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally saved enough pennies for my light fixture! Woohoo!!! And then it doesn't work:(
Got a 48" Coralife T5 HO quad bulb. Unwrapped it, installed the feet and plugged it in. About two minutes later it started flashing on and off. I paid more attention and it looked like just the blue bulbs were flashing. Googled and couldn't find anything, looked at the owners manual and couldn't find anything so I called my LFS. They suggested pull the bulbs and swap positions to see if it was the bulbs or the fixture itself. I pulled the fixture off and took it into the kitchen, swapped the bulbs and the same thing happened.....only it got worse lol. The kitchen outlet happened to be a GFCI, which tripped every time I switched on the actinic switch, which are bulb positions 1 and 3. If I leave that off it runs fine. I am sure LFS is gonna make this right with no issues but dang!
lights.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a bummer. Id bet it got jangled around in shipping.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're right and while I may be electrically inclined enough to fix it myself I don't think I will LOL.
yea, If i got it off craiglsit yea id rebuild it and call myself a dummy but, Hellooo trade in!

OP
OP
OldGoat

OldGoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the fixture back to the LFS and the owner went about ordering me another one. Bad news...his suppliers no longer carry it, worse news Coralife has discontinued this fixture!:mad: Good news is, he offered to take a look at it for me. He plugged it in and it worked perfectly for a few hours. I went and picked it up and put it back on the tank and as you can see...it's working perfectly?!?!? Oh well who am I to question a good thing. I got the CUC going and hope to get my first fish this weekend. I think I'll move over to the build forum maybe with the rest of the story. it's been sitting there running in the dark since July! I'm STOKED to finally get started!!!

20170227_161000.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took the fixture back to the LFS and the owner went about ordering me another one. Bad news...his suppliers no longer carry it, worse news Coralife has discontinued this fixture!:mad: Good news is, he offered to take a look at it for me. He plugged it in and it worked perfectly for a few hours. I went and picked it up and put it back on the tank and as you can see...it's working perfectly?!?!? Oh well who am I to question a good thing. I got the CUC going and hope to get my first fish this weekend. I think I'll move over to the build forum maybe with the rest of the story. it's been sitting there running in the dark since July! I'm STOKED to finally get started!!!

20170227_161000.jpg
SWEEEET!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back