Coraline transfer

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to move and in the process put up a larger tank. 29 now and will be going to a 75 or 90. In the 29 the side and back walls are completly covered in coraline. It's pretty thick as far as coraline goes in my opinion. It seems to be able to be removed with a blade carefully in sheets.

My qustion is: Can I transfer that to the new tank and would that be a good thing to do?

In getting ready for the move I've made new water then run it through my system for a few days and then pulled it out and saved it.. doing about 5 galons per 2-3 days. Needless to say I've got water everywhere. My hope is to have the least stress to the corals and fish by having "established water" instead of 40 galons of new plus possibly transfering this coraline to give it a jump start there. It might be too crazy of a plan but thought I'd see if anyone ever tried to do that. I hate for it to go to waste. It is so pretty.....

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, if you can get it off in a whole plate....just crumble it up and put in the new tank to seed it.

when you do move, try to keep as MUCH of the old tank water as possible.....this is VERY important when upgrading to a bigger tank, as corals don't like brand new saltwater in high concentrations........especially sps.

OP
OP
turbois300

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks surf !!!! You always have the answer !!!!!

I have about 30 galons of water that I have passed through the tank for a few days that I have kept just for this. It' s in a bin with circulation and heat and I even put some of my chaeto in it. I'll be moving it in about 10 days so I hope to have more made by then, espically if I do a 90 (which I want to do)

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking.. I would save all I could. Keep the coraline wet and away from intense light.. it dies fast without moisture. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back