Corals are all closing up

awernli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider myself new to the hobby, and ever since switching from my 60 gallon cube with a canister filter, to a 90 gallon red sea 350, with a sump, it seems like it's been all downhill from there!

I've got a variety of corals. Duncans, zoa's, Hammer's and few others. Also have an bubble tip anemone which also doesn't seem to be doing great

Duncan coral has been mostly closed for over a month now, and I got the bigger one recently to see if it may have been just that one coral dying. The new larger one is also closing and showing the same symptom of staying almost completely closed.
Hammer coral is also very small compared to the size it was purchased at.
Anemone seems to also not be doing as great as when purchased as well, and mostly stays very small.

Other flower looking coral (not sure of the exact name) seem to be doing okay, and have been for a while now.

Fish:
As far as livestock, i have two clowns, two cardinalfish, 1 damselfish, 1 midas blenny, a naso tang.

Also have a variety of snails / hermit crabs / 3 x emerald crabs / 1x cleaner shrimp / 2 x peppermint shrimp

Feeding:
- I feed 3 x daily, a mix of TDO Chroma BOOST pellets, and New Life Spectrum Thera + pellets from an auto feeder
- twice weekly i do Benereef 3/4tsp mixed with tank water, along with 1/4 tsp of reef roids, and broadcast feed that.
- Also do nori for the tang every few days, granted the tang seems 0 interest in it, so i remove it before it ends up blended in my gyre's

I also dose 15ml of aquavitro fuel once a week.

Flow:
I run two xf330's at the top of tank on each side at 50%, running on alternating gyre mode.

Lighting:
Two Nicrew 150w, with a 1 hour ramp up and ramp down, and running max at 15% white's and 50% blue's for 12 hours, followed by a tunze fuge light in the sump running reverse through the night for while the nicrew 150's are off.

Only thing I haven't done is get a PAR meter to measure my exact PAR from my lights. Not sure if that could entirely be my problem. Have been going off the IPhone app, as well as few youtube video's around the same lighting

Sump:
Only thing I have in my sump is octo skimmer, which i empty often when full, two filter cups which i have course filter sponge, and a few media bags full of MarinePure 1.5" filter balls

Parameters:
Ammonia -> 0
Nitrate -> 0
PH -> 8.2
Salinity -> 1.025 (i've verified salinity with a refractometer, as well as a hydrometer
Phosphate -> 0
dKH -> 11
Calcium -> 390

I use redsea test kits, and API for calcium

I do a 10% water change every two weeks, have a skimmer going, and run a coarse sponge filter in filter cups which I clean out when they get gunked up

I can post some pics of my tank tomorrow

But anything else i should be looking for?

Sucks, as i feel like i'm doing everything i can, and can't seem to get my corals going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
awernli

awernli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around ~7-8 months old.

Only use RODI water, and mix my salt using instant ocean

Also, my lighting schedule is:
07 - 08 -> ramp up to 5% white's 35% blues
08 - 09 -> ramp up to 15% whites 50% blues
18 - 19 -> ramp down to 5% white's 35% blues
19 - 20 -> ramp down to 0

IMG_6846.jpg IMG_6843.jpg IMG_6844.jpg IMG_6841.jpg IMG_6842.jpg IMG_6839.jpg IMG_6840.jpg IMG_6837.jpg IMG_6838.jpg

OP
OP
awernli

awernli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're nutrients are bottomed out. Coral need phos and nitrates in the system. What is your mag?
Yeah, no matter what I seem to do, my nitrate and phos are undetectable on tests. But I have algae growth, as well as what I think to be cyanide

Was going to get Hanna tester, as I’m currently using api for phosphate tests. And Red Sea tests for nitrate.

Will get a test kit for mag as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6848.jpeg
    IMG_6848.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
awernli

awernli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update haven’t really changed much. Everything still reading 0’s but everything is starting to look good again.

I did go through a phase of thorough blowing off all cyano off rocks for about a week straight followed by filter cleaning, but even that is completely gone it seems now.

Even a Duncan that was closed for few months is starting to poke out a little again

I did sadly lose my naso tang.. my LFS store didn’t mention that that fish was way too big for my 75 gallon and I believe he just stressed himself and I couldn’t get him to start eating

Attachments

• IMG_6942.jpeg
    IMG_6942.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6943.jpeg
    IMG_6943.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 22

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back