Coralvue vs APEX

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I am looking into finally getting a monitoring system. I'm curious what folks' thoughts are on the Coralvue and Apex systems. For those of you that have possibly tried both, preferred one over the other. Those of you that currently own one of these systems, what are your thoughts and experience with your setup; likes and dislikes, wish you would have gone with the other, maintenance/care, customer service, setup, accuracy, etc.

Appreciate the input. Thanks!
BG

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way to know is to look up both and see what one works best for your tank and what you want it to do

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hydros and switched from the Archon to it. I could not be any happier with my decision. I have a build thread here. The information starts on page 6 post #119. Here is the link https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/canopy-and-stand-build-for-42-gallon-hex-tank.317822/page-6 . I got the X4 starter kit with an extra wifi power strip along with a 0-10v to 4 3.5mm plugs cable assembly. I started using it in the garage where my storage tanks and mix tank is with my RODI. I also have my ATO and AWC pump there also. The tank is 35ft away so all the wires and water tubing have to go up through the attic between the tank and the mixing station area of the garage. I also go over new features and how I used them as thing progressed on the system. I did get it to do what I wanted to begin with but as they came out with new features it did simplify doing some of the things I was doing. I now have it controlling all of my pump. It controls most of my lighting. It also controls ATO and AWC. That was one of the first things I had it doing. It also controls the RODI, DI storage refill, fresh salt water refill and mix tank refill. I even have it doing some non aquarium task also. Once you get used to how to do things it becomes very easy to get it to do very complex task. The more common things you will want it to do have output types already there that make it easier to setup that task. I have lots of screenshots of the different setups I use. So check it out and if you have any questions let me know.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every thread hydros is mentioned I see @n2585722 chime in, and that's probably a good person to get some information for in depth use of the system, if that what your trying to do with a controller.

Hydros can do some things, more than what I use it for, I have two systems running hydros with 3 xp8s 3 control 4, a few control xs and a few wave modules. But honestly I have it set up very simply and I don't care to tinker with it, it's definitely a entry to mid level tech for me and that's how I like it. It has some glitches from time to time and I think it's way overpriced for what I get out of it but hey whatever I'm able to have a monitor system without pulling my hair out trying to set it up.

I guess it depends on what you want to do there's tons of information out there on both so you should be able to make a decision after a bit of research. If it's cost making the decision that may make it a little more difficult, as I believe they are both designed to make you spend money, although having a hydros system I believe they are definitely designed to make you spend money on several modules and a system that is not quite there yet. They boast about the wiring system but honestly I think it looks terrible when it's full of wires that requires a board to keep them somewhat organized, I have 2 controller boards and still think it looks stupid with a bunch of wires sticking out the front, im not sure what else I can say I have no experience with apex but I can tell their monitoring and testing system with their proprietary reagents are a money pit, but I believe they both can be that. The newest products from hydros are just a joke to me and look absolutely ridiculous with dosing pumps and controller module combined into one device its so trashy to me.

Felt good to get some of that out but I still have the hydros and it works for me but like I said I'm not into tinkering and playing with the controller i use it very simply, but I guess it can be used more complex like others have stated and I've seen done. Again it's all up to you.

Now here's some pictures I've been meaning to tidy every thing up and get more organized and move the othe xp8 and control4 to the board but like you know life happens so yeah all those cool wires sticking out of the front look the way they do, im sure I'm not the only one, if you like to organize wires and make things look pretty you'll have fun with the hydros;) and you'll need several modules they way they designe it. Good luck with your decision!

Attachments

• 20230423_132138.jpg
    20230423_132138.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230423_132158.jpg
    20230423_132158.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230423_132205.jpg
    20230423_132205.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 70

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm throwing out a question since the OP might also benefit from the answer:

Can either system (apex or hydros) be run without a constant wifi connection? Do you just need wifi to set them up/make changes or if they lose connection do they stop working entirely?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi

Can either system (apex or hydros) be run without a constant wifi connection? Do you just need wifi to set them up/make changes or if they lose connection do they stop working entirely?
With no wifi I can't see my hydros app, but it continues to do its thing, then with wifi reconnected it's back up and running. I moved my router closer to my modules but I still get some that lose connection from time to time for 20-30 seconds. It's very annoying to see them flashing yellow with all the lights off, lighting up the room I prefer to be dark, just another glitch it often has for me.. I definitely like that apex has a direct wire option that could be a deal breaker for some im not sure why hydros leaves that out. Hydros wifi plugs are just paperweights at best, I have one that is not in use for that reason, I don't even trust it to hold down important papers.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cannot say for the Apex but it depends on how you have it setup on the Hydros. If you use any of the wifi strips, plugs or wifi feeder they will need local wifi to communicate with the controller. They do not need the internet however. You will need wifi and internet to make changes to the settings. To override a output you can use bluetooth on you phone as long as the phone has internet over the mobile connection and wifi is turned off. I lost internet for 5 days after an ice storm and had no issue getting into the controller to check on it during that time. Here are some screenshots of bluetooth mode on my iPad. Of coarse my iPad will not do this without internet since it does not have mobile service but it is the same on the phone with exception it is a smaller screen and not as much can be displayed on the screen so more scrolling on it. Also everything is on a single page in bluetooth. Also if you use a XP8 for AC power then it is a controller and wired to the collective and does not need wifi to communicate with the other controllers in the collective. The sixth screenshot is when I accessed the driveway camera output. The seventh screenshot is after it was overridden to the on state. The output tile turns orange in the state. The last screenshot is after it was overridden to off. In this state the tile outline turns orange. A flip switch is also shows on the tile when in override up is on and down is off. These screenshots were all taken while in bluetooth mode.

IMG_8705.png

IMG_8706.png

IMG_8707.png

IMG_8708.png

IMG_8709.png

IMG_8710.png

IMG_8711.png

IMG_8712.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi
With no wifi I can't see my hydros app, but it continues to do its thing, then with wifi reconnected it's back up and running. I moved my router closer to my modules but I still get some that lose connection from time to time for 20-30 seconds. It's very annoying to see them flashing yellow with all the lights off, lighting up the room I prefer to be dark, just another glitch it often has for me.. I definitely like that apex has a direct wire option that could be a deal breaker for some im not sure why hydros leaves that out. Hydros wifi plugs are just paperweights at best, I have one that is not in use for that reason, I don't even trust it to hold down important papers.
The breathing yellow is no internet service. Breathing red is no wifi connection. You need internet for the app to work. If you have it on a phone turn off wifi on the phone and then start the app and click the bluetooth icon in the left menu and then select the wifi master for the collective you want access to. Or if it is a single controller just select that controller. The collectives will not show in bluetooth that is why you need to select the wifi master of the collective.

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Apex and it does more than I know how to program it. I do like the sensors you can get to monitor water levels. When i was in the market to get a controller i wanted hydros but got a used apex for cheap so now im all in with apex. Idk which is better but it seems you can do a bit more with apex.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Apex and it does more than I know how to program it. I do like the sensors you can get to monitor water levels. When i was in the market to get a controller i wanted hydros but got a used apex for cheap so now im all in with apex. Idk which is better but it seems you can do a bit more with apex.
So far I have not run into anything I could not do with my hydros I wanted it to do. It controls my return pump, flow pumps and skimmer pump. It also controls my ATO and AWC. It also controls my RODI and storage tanks. It will automatically refill my DI storage from the RODI when it goes low. It will transfer the water in the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank when the fresh saltwater tank goes low and the mix tank is ready to use. It will auto refill the mix tank when it goes low from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready to use. It monitors for leaks where the three storage tanks and RODI are located and at the tank. It also monitors for a leak under my central air conditioner. It is also used to dispense either fresh saltwater or DI into containers from the storage tanks when needed. There is a water level sensor in each of the three storage tanks. the one in the mix tank is used to turn on the mixing pump when the water level in the mix tank is above 60%. It also allows me ro monitor the level in the three tanks without rolling them out dorm under my work bench were they are kept to check the water level. Below is a screenshot of the inputs for the storage tanks in the garage and RODI. Each tank has a water level input, a full sensor and a low level sensor.

IMG_8715.png

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Used both extensively. Had almost twice the amount invested in Hydros but after 4 failed WiFi bars, 2 failed XP8s, and countless connection issues (CoralVue told me “it’s on your end, sorry” and never figured it out) I sold it all off and went back to Apex fully. Going on 8 years with Neptune and not a single failure to date. My buddy now has my 8 year old Apex Jr with an EB8 and all working perfectly.

Just my experience. I get the allure to each and think both can benefit the end user. I just couldn’t deal with the failures any longer on my tank

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing yellow is not internet service. Breathing red is no wifi connection. You need internet for the app to work. If you have it on a phone turn off wifi on the phone and then start the app and click the bluetooth icon in the left menu and then select the wifi master for the collective you want access to. Or if it is a single controller just select that controller. The collectives will not show in bluetooth that is why you need to select the wifi master of the collective.
Thanks! Makes sense,I will definitely check into that now. like I said I'm a very low level user and probably more like the majority, I know you have your system down to a science I've checked out your build a few times thanks for helping people where you can, and always providing examples it definitely helps!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Makes sense,I will definitely check into that now. like I said I'm a very low level user and probably more like the majority, I know you have your system down to a science I've checked out your build a few times thanks for helping people where you can, and always providing examples it definitely helps!
Thanks, I get a lot out of helping also. I am a electronics technician by trade. I worked on implanters for thirty years. The two photos below are of the linear accelerator of one of the high energy implanters. The third photo is of me working on one of the medium current implanters. A implanter ionizes a dopant and accelerates it using high voltage onto a wafer or wafers. There are several different dopants that can be used. The amount of high voltage used determines how deep the dopant will go into the silicon substrate. The dopant is used to create transistors, resistors and capacitors in IC's on the wafers.There is a photo resist on the wafer that blocks the dopant from implanting into any area where they don't want the implant to go. A wafer may go through implant several times during the process. The implant process takes place in a vacuum.

20211130_034620261_iOS.jpeg

20211130_034652570_iOS.jpeg

20211130_034739823_iOS.jpeg

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my first controller I got the x4 I can update you on set up as a rookie in a week or so when it shows up. I’m going to have a pretty simple set up to begin just the ph monitor and the water sensor lfs to control some things. My ato recently didn’t fill while I was out of town my return pump almost ran dry then it overfilled my tank almost to over flowing (in reality a maintenance problem on my end) but I finally bucked up to have some added piece of mind

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nb2585722. You indeed have quite the setup. Much appreciate the input and build forum. Sounds like you have had great success with your setup where a couple others have had some pit falls. This is the information I'm gathering.

I'm a EE myself and appreciate the field day photos. Pretty neat equipment.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought my first controller I got the x4 I can update you on set up as a rookie in a week or so when it shows up. I’m going to have a pretty simple set up to begin just the ph monitor and the water sensor lfs to control some things. My ato recently didn’t fill while I was out of town my return pump almost ran dry then it overfilled my tank almost to over flowing (in reality a maintenance problem on my end) but I finally bucked up to have some added piece of mind
Look fwd to seeing your experience with the setup.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every thread hydros is mentioned I see @n2585722 chime in, and that's probably a good person to get some information for in depth use of the system, if that what your trying to do with a controller.

Hydros can do some things, more than what I use it for, I have two systems running hydros with 3 xp8s 3 control 4, a few control xs and a few wave modules. But honestly I have it set up very simply and I don't care to tinker with it, it's definitely a entry to mid level tech for me and that's how I like it. It has some glitches from time to time and I think it's way overpriced for what I get out of it but hey whatever I'm able to have a monitor system without pulling my hair out trying to set it up.

I guess it depends on what you want to do there's tons of information out there on both so you should be able to make a decision after a bit of research. If it's cost making the decision that may make it a little more difficult, as I believe they are both designed to make you spend money, although having a hydros system I believe they are definitely designed to make you spend money on several modules and a system that is not quite there yet. They boast about the wiring system but honestly I think it looks terrible when it's full of wires that requires a board to keep them somewhat organized, I have 2 controller boards and still think it looks stupid with a bunch of wires sticking out the front, im not sure what else I can say I have no experience with apex but I can tell their monitoring and testing system with their proprietary reagents are a money pit, but I believe they both can be that. The newest products from hydros are just a joke to me and look absolutely ridiculous with dosing pumps and controller module combined into one device its so trashy to me.

Felt good to get some of that out but I still have the hydros and it works for me but like I said I'm not into tinkering and playing with the controller i use it very simply, but I guess it can be used more complex like others have stated and I've seen done. Again it's all up to you.

Now here's some pictures I've been meaning to tidy every thing up and get more organized and move the othe xp8 and control4 to the board but like you know life happens so yeah all those cool wires sticking out of the front look the way they do, im sure I'm not the only one, if you like to organize wires and make things look pretty you'll have fun with the hydros;) and you'll need several modules they way they designe it. Good luck with your decision!
Definitely one of the concerns of mine is the number of wires that can be involved with the Hydros and how often the regents have to be replenished with the Trident.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the starter kit or the pro pack?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back