I went with the starter kit as I already have a couple Kasa Wi-Fi strips

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the starter kit as I already have a couple Kasa Wi-Fi strips
The Hydros wifi strips are Tuya protocol. The X4 starter kit is the first thing I got. Were you planning on using it for ATO?

Last edited:

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros wifi strips are Tuya protocol. The X4 starter kit is the first thing I got. Were you planning on using it for ATO?
I’m going to use a water sensor for extra emergency shut off as my ato almost flooded my tank the other day and I will sleep and travel better knowing there is an extra layer of security

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to use a water sensor for extra emergency shut off as my ato almost flooded my tank the other day and I will sleep and travel better knowing there is an extra layer of security
Sounds good. If you do decide to use it all you will need is a pump. I use the Hydros dosing pump for ATO. It hooks to a drive port on my X4. Since it is slow and takes more time it is also easier to control. The settings in the ATO can limit the time that the ATO can run in a given amount of time. I use the built in AWC so my ATO has to be controlled by the Hydros also but I was doing that before I started using the built in AWC but the advanced setting are the same as when it was not a part of the AWC. The minimum off time setting I set to 15 minutes. So once it does a top off it will not do another for at least 15 minutes. The maximum off time I have set to 6 hours. If it does not top off for 6 hours it will send an alert so I can check into the issue. The minimumon time is set to 1 minute so it will at least run one minute. For my pump that is just 43ml. The maximum on time is set to 3 minutes and 45 seconds. That is 162.25ml as a maximum it will use at any one time. I have run past max on time set to off so if it hits maximum on time the output will turn off and an alert will be sent. That is about it for the ATO part of it. The ATO is a part of AWC so it can be disabled during the drain and fill sequence of the AWC. My two AWC pumps are also dosing pumps.

IMG_8719.png

Last edited:

tinyfellows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If you do decide to use it all you will need is a pump. I use the Hydros dosing pump for ATO. It hooks to a drive port on my X4. Since it is slow and takes more time it is also easier to control. The settings in the ATO can limit the time that the ATO can run in a given amount of time. I use the vuilt in AWC so my ATO has to ve controlled by the Hydros also but I was doing that before I started using the built in AWC but the advanced setting are the same as when it was not a part of the AWC. The minimum off time setting I set to 15 minutes. So once it does a top off it will not do another for at least 15 minutes. The maximum off time I have set to 6 hours. If it does not top off for 6 hours it will send an alert so I can check into the issue. The minimumon time is set to 1 minute so it will at least run one minute. For my pump that is just 43ml. The maximum on time is set to 3 minutes and 45 seconds. That is 162.25ml as a maximum it will use at any one time. I have run past max on time set to off so if it hits maximum on time the output will turn off and an alert will be sent. That is about it for the ATO part of it. The ATO is a part of AWC so it can be disabled during the drain and fill sequence of the AWC. My two AWC pumps are also dosing pumps.

IMG_8719.png
Thanks for the detailed response I’m super new to controllers so it’s cool to see what other people are doing with the equipment.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Apex for 7-8 years now and can't imagine running my system without it. I've had one EB832 failure due to a bad power supply (known issue that I believe they've fixed in the newer hardware revisions.)

I've found support to be excellent from both the support forums and Neptune itself, so no complaints there.

I haven't use the Hydros so I can't comment on whether it's better or worse than Apex but I did price out some components at one point and found that while they seem cheaper on the surface the total cost for my system would have been pretty similar between the two systems. This really depends on your needs so look at what you want it to do both now and in the future.

As far as ability to use off of wifi, the controller brain itself has all the code stored in it and will continue to run whether it's connected to wifi or not. You clearly can't access it remotely (this is the same for all controllers.) It does have a local host mode as well. From Neptune's web site:

Wi-Fi Lock Access Point Mode

While it is preferable to have your Apex connected to your network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and in turn be able to communicate with APEX Fusion through your Internet connection, there are times when this is not possible. In the rare situation where an Apex cannot be connected to a local network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, the Apex has a special network communications mode called Lock Access Point Mode. When Lock AP Mode is enabled, the Apex will always broadcast it’s own Wi-Fi network name, just like it does in WiFI Setup mode (Apex Setup_#### where ### is the Apex’s serial number), however when in Lock AP Mode, the Apex will require your APEX Local login in order to access it. The Apex’s WiFI name can then be selected on a Wi-Fi capable desktop, notebook, smartphone, or tablet within a reasonable distance of the Apex. The effective range of Lock AP Mode will vary, but typically will be at least 25 feet.

The disadvantage of AP Lock Mode is that APEX Fusion cannot be used.
To enable Lock Acess Point Mode, follow the initial W-Fi setup procedure previously covered in this Get Started guide, but instead of choosing a Wi-Fi network, click or tap the drop-down menu, then select Lock AP Mode and click/tap the Lock button.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Apex for 7-8 years now and can't imagine running my system without it. I've had one EB832 failure due to a bad power supply (known issue that I believe they've fixed in the newer hardware revisions.)

I've found support to be excellent from both the support forums and Neptune itself, so no complaints there.

I haven't use the Hydros so I can't comment on whether it's better or worse than Apex but I did price out some components at one point and found that while they seem cheaper on the surface the total cost for my system would have been pretty similar between the two systems. This really depends on your needs so look at what you want it to do both now and in the future.

As far as ability to use off of wifi, the controller brain itself has all the code stored in it and will continue to run whether it's connected to wifi or not. You clearly can't access it remotely (this is the same for all controllers.) It does have a local host mode as well. From Neptune's web site:

Wi-Fi Lock Access Point Mode

While it is preferable to have your Apex connected to your network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi and in turn be able to communicate with APEX Fusion through your Internet connection, there are times when this is not possible. In the rare situation where an Apex cannot be connected to a local network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, the Apex has a special network communications mode called Lock Access Point Mode. When Lock AP Mode is enabled, the Apex will always broadcast it’s own Wi-Fi network name, just like it does in WiFI Setup mode (Apex Setup_#### where ### is the Apex’s serial number), however when in Lock AP Mode, the Apex will require your APEX Local login in order to access it. The Apex’s WiFI name can then be selected on a Wi-Fi capable desktop, notebook, smartphone, or tablet within a reasonable distance of the Apex. The effective range of Lock AP Mode will vary, but typically will be at least 25 feet.

The disadvantage of AP Lock Mode is that APEX Fusion cannot be used.
To enable Lock Acess Point Mode, follow the initial W-Fi setup procedure previously covered in this Get Started guide, but instead of choosing a Wi-Fi network, click or tap the drop-down menu, then select Lock AP Mode and click/tap the Lock button.
But if I get this, then I can control things without ANY wifi, local, Ethernet, Lock AP, etc... Correct?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if I get this, then I can control things without ANY wifi, local, Ethernet, Lock AP, etc... Correct?

Yes - I’ve never used the Apex Display so I dont’ know all the capabilities/limitations of it. I don’t think you can program with it; you need a computer to do that but it should be possible even without an internet connection.

I currently have my system set up with some buttons on the breakout box so I just press a button for feeding and one for water changes. I’m guessing you could do that with the display, too.

Currahee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the X4 and the XP8 and I love it so far. I do wish I could get a salinity sensor like Apex does.

My local coral farm sold me on getting a controller. He wanted me to get Apex, but he told me he and his customers had some fail. After reading on here, I see a lot of failed Apex. Also Hydros is really easy to use.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the X4 and the XP8 and I love it so far. I do wish I could get a salinity sensor like Apex does.

My local coral farm sold me on getting a controller. He wanted me to get Apex, but he told me he and his customers had some fail. After reading on here, I see a lot of failed Apex. Also Hydros is really easy to use.
The X10 will have a conductivity port on it. You can add it to your collective by getting a command bus cable. It also had 4 precision dosing pumps, a pH port, 4 sense ports and 2 drive ports. All the IV and you will be able to do Alkalinity testing as well using the pH port and three of the dosing pumps. The IV also has a probe holder for the conductivity probe also so it will be isolated from the tank. The conductivity port and probe is what is used to measure the salinity.

Currahee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X10 will have a conductivity port on it. You can add it to your collective by getting a command bus cable. It also had 4 precision dosing pumps, a pH port, 4 sense ports and 2 drive ports. All the IV and you will be able to do Alkalinity testing as well using the pH port and three of the dosing pumps. The IV also has a probe holder for the conductivity probe also so it will be isolated from the tank. The conductivity port and probe is what is used to measure the salinity.
Yeah I know the x10 is going to be awesome, but I doubt I will pay for it after spending $600 on what I already have.

Jones375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros vs Apex debate was hotly contested in my house. I ended up going with the Hydros because I'm not a tech oriented person and I liked the hydros interface. My dad however is a die hard Apex fanatic as he quite literally wrote the Apex manual https://reefbuilders.com/2012/10/23/apex-comprehensive-reference-manual/. Choose what suits you best, there isn't a "right" choice.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know the x10 is going to be awesome, but I doubt I will pay for it after spending $600 on what I already have.
I had a salinity probe on my Archon and it was more trouble than it was worth. I don't miss it. I use my Pinpoint meter to check it once a week. I also have a refractometer.

Back