could a successful acropora nano be done?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current nano is a in Nuvo fusion APS ( 25 gallon ) AIO...It has 1 x kessil a360x and 1 x 250w DE metal halide fixture... for flow the return pump into 2 return nozzles and 1x maxspect gyre 2k... for ATO, I have the tune nano ato, for heat , I have the BRS titanium heater controlled using apex fusion base model

a360x on for 8 hours on close to AB+ as I can figure and halide on for 4 hrs from 1000am to 200 pm... parameters all 7.9 po4 .007 n03 10ppm calcium 420 mag 1320 temp 77.9 to 80.2 ( fan kicks on at 80.3)

Last edited:

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Yes, but it’s a pain in the butt. I had a IM 40g long (28g total water volume) with 50ish acro frags in it and a 6 inch maxima clam. I could not keep nitrate and phosphate up and had to dose it. I couldn’t keep my calcium reactor on it due to ph issue. It was also very pain in the butt to get it to work because a small change would cause too big or small change in alk due to the low water volume. I did dosing fine with it, but dosing will increase salinity so you have to keep an eye on that. It’s just a pain in the butt, and I’d rather have a bigger sps tank with a set and forget calcium reactor.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it’s a pain in the butt. I had a IM 40g long (28g total water volume) with 50ish acro frags in it and a 6 inch maxima clam. I could not keep nitrate and phosphate up and had to dose it. I couldn’t keep my calcium reactor on it due to ph issue. It was also very pain in the butt to get it to work because a small change would cause too big or small change in alk due to the low water volume. I did dosing fine with it, but dosing will increase salinity so you have to keep an eye on that. It’s just a pain in the butt, and I’d rather have a bigger sps tank with a set and forget calcium reactor.
I am also running a trident on it so hopefully I can make it work for a few choice high end pieces of acropora.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5 Gallon Deskmate, Radion XR15 (Gen 4), no skimmer, and heater. I do weekly 1 gallon water changes, daily MANUAL top off, and Monday-Friday dosing of ~1mL of All For Reef.

Currently I have 9 SPS in the tank, that are all doing well and growing well, and currently have another BattleBox coming from Adam that I won in his Valentine's Day contest (probably about another 8 coming my way).

So I can hands down say you can do a successful nano with SPS!

And I don't test for anything aside from salinity.

IMG_9859.jpg

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5 Gallon Deskmate, Radion XR15 (Gen 4), no skimmer, and heater. I do weekly 1 gallon water changes, daily MANUAL top off, and Monday-Friday dosing of ~1mL of All For Reef.

Currently I have 9 SPS in the tank, that are all doing well and growing well, and currently have another BattleBox coming from Adam that I won in his Valentine's Day contest (probably about another 8 coming my way).

So I can hands down say you can do a successful nano with SPS!

And I don't test for anything aside from salinity.

IMG_9859.jpg
awesome, that's what I'm talking about!!!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
If ya notice, they don’t have much coral bioload. Most of mine were frags, but like 55 acro frags was a pain in the butt, not counting if I let them grow into mini colonies and colonies.

If ya do a few acros and just let them get big, it’s fine until they get bioload gets more demanding.

I now have around 75 frags and 15 or so colonies in a 5 ft waterbox peninsula 6025. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8405.png
    IMG_8405.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 53

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building out a nano (12g) acro only tank. I am going to limit myself to 6 different sticks so I can let them grow into decent sized colonies.

Highlights of the build... auto water changes, dosing, skimmer and some nice lighting... while doing it on a reasonable budget... except for the actual sticks. :D

This is gonna be a fun one.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I'm in the process of building out a nano (12g) acro only tank. I am going to limit myself to 6 different sticks so I can let them grow into decent sized colonies.

Highlights of the build... auto water changes, dosing, skimmer and some nice lighting... while doing it on a reasonable budget... except for the actual sticks. :D

This is gonna be a fun one.
Nice. I think that’s really good idea. I forgot to say that my calx reactor was a pain, so I did do two part, but kept having to watch my salinity more than I wanted since I was added so much per day. So keep an eye out on the salinity if you get a lot of bioload and have to dose a lot

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I think that’s really good idea. I forgot to say that my calx reactor was a pain, so I did do two part, but kept having to watch my salinity more than I wanted since I was added so much per day. So keep an eye out on the salinity if you get a lot of bioload and have to dose a lot

I'm a big fan of All for Reef. On a setup this small, a single dosing pump is easier to manage, so I'm planning to at least start that way and see how it goes. The side benefit of AFR is that it has no affect on salinity. The tradeoff is I get no ph boost, but I'm hoping the skimmer does a decent enough job of keeping that up and stable.

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 Evo that's been running for 2 1/2 years now. It's got a lot of acros doing well in it, some a little too well. I have to dose 5 ml of All for Reef 2X a day to maintain my alkalinity and calcium levels. I'm going to have to move up to a 30 gal soon as I'm running out of room.

Attachments

• 366571126_10224598908146596_4114946760471202031_n.jpg
    366571126_10224598908146596_4114946760471202031_n.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 12

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back