Could this be the Trident announcement?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....personally, I'm going to wait for Abex Xepta Machine. It seems like a much better product with greater potential.

Haha, yes, there’s always something down the road that ‘seems’ better - then details emerge and disappointment and disillusionment sets in.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...this thread has turning into the Purge! 30hvuj.jpg
If you are the marketing or the product guy you gotta be thinking...why this is? what would I have done bette...because the answer cannot be "it's just haters" most of the users here are apex owners...... did we not listen carefully to our customers? Did we not walk backward from customers needs?...
All will be a healthy experience hopefully.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune's margins are likely very high. Priced like a "premium" product. Dominant position in the controller space. "Neptune Ecosystem" effect where you buy tons of add-ons (powerheads, returns, etc.) due to compatibility with Fusion. The tech inside these is likely not that high tech. Head unit is probably an arduino board lol

They're a lot like a mini Apple in the aquarium space.

Launch was a complete disaster though - largely due to how limited the quantities were. Manhattan had a total of 4 Trident's delivered to LFS. Major online retailers selling out in minutes.

If you're going to launch - launch. Go big you had 2 years to prep. Don't leave the door open and raise doubts from your loyal base. I think the product will be wildly successful but they fumbled this one. Might have gotten scared that the competition was closing the gap and people were becoming impatient so they hit go before they were truly ready.

With that being said I stick to my original comment - don't like it take your business elsewhere
For the record hardware buissness is absolutely brutal. It's so hard to make enough money off selling hardware only. Jist think about it, do you think they are giving the kit ro BRS or local stores anything above 300$? Local stors will not accept less than 40% profit otherwise they would not stock the goods...
That was Neptune biggest problem. They did not have reoccurring revenue. And you have to give it to them not charging for fusion which they could have done so with small annual fee.
I wish they changed small annual fee on fusion so they reduce the pressure on their hardware and reduce cost..i would pay a 50 or 100$ a year for fusion and I bet many would do the same. We pay annual fees on smaller things and forum membertions. Fusion is Neptune's absolute and real IP... all the modules and apex are nothing but IOs and relays..

but am sure that would have got it's own problems.

Now with trident they have the reoccurring revenues with reagent and "maintenance". I wish they had done trident stand alone or support old apex or reduce the cost of trident alot if they demand whole apex upgrade.

Moral of the story, while I am one of the people who keep complaining about their ways of force purchases on their customers, I understand how hard it is to run a company by selling hardware only..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the record hardware buissness is absolutely brutal. It's so hard to make money off selling hardware only. That was Neptune biggest problem. They did not have reoccurring revenue. And you have to give it to them not charging for fusion which they could have done so with small annual fee.
I wish they changed small annual fee on fusion so they reduce the pressure on their hardware and reduce cost..i would pay a 50 or 100$ a year for fusion and I bet many would do the same. We pay annual fees on smaller things and forum membertions. Fusion is Neptune's absolute and real IP... all the modules and apex are nothing but IOs and relays..

but am sure that would have got it's own problems.

Now with trident they have the reoccurring revenues with reagent and "maintenance". I wish they had done trident stand alone or support old apex or reduce the cost of trident alot if they demand whole apex upgrade.

Moral of the story, while I am one of the people who keep complaining about their ways of force purchases on their customers, I understand how hard it is to run a company by selling hardware only..
IMHO you are wrong here - you have made some points earlier - but you have no clue what they are doing

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO you are wrong here - you have made some points earlier - but you have no clue what they are doing
Yup, all speculations. But who knows what am talking about know what am talking about.
I might be wrong on the retail mock up. If they are selling it to retail for less than 40% profit. That would explain why the limited quantity where no one committing to large volume and freez their asset...
Buy the rest of my pointes....they are very close to reality I think..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup, all speculations. But who knows what am talking about know what am talking about.
I might be wrong on the retail mock up. If they are selling it to retail for less than 40% profit. That would explain why the limited quantity where no one committing to large volume and freez their asset...
But - what if they are staggering the release to avoid 5000 tridents being sent in for maintenence every year for 20 years... You at least have to consdider that.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw do you know what's AWS fees? They are paying annual fees to keep fusion up..and these fees scale as usage and customers scale.. so they sell u something, then they need to pay annual fees as long ad you are using fusion which can be years and years without you buying something new from them...
....I do not want to get too technical here...who know will know lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw do you know what's AWS fees? They are paying annual fees to keep fusion up..and these fees scale as usage and customers scale.. so they sell u something, then they need to pay annual fees as long ad you are using fusion which can be years and years without you buying something new from them...
....I do not want to get too technical here...who know will know lol
Sorry - I got this alert - I have no clue what you're trying to say... no offense

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But - what if they are staggering the release to avoid 5000 tridents being sent in for maintenence every year for 20 years... You at least have to consdider that.
That would be the most idiotic thing ever. Have you ever met someone who do not want revenues???
There is no grand scheme here bud...low quantities are due to
Lack of budget
Lack of retail commitment
Lack of confidence in the product so u tey to control the message and not deal with mass returns
..couple other reasons that's all

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would be the most idiotic thing ever. Have you ever met someone who do not want revenues???
There is no grand scheme here bud...low quantities are due to
Lack of budget
Lack of retail commitment
Lack of confidence in the product so u tey to control the message and not deal with mass returns
..couple other reasons that's all
SO lets say youre a company... you know your product needs to be maintained in 12-18 months. and you sell your entire inventory on the first day lets say 100,000 units...
In 12-18 months all of those units are coming in for maintenance. Would it make more or less sense to stagger the release of those 100,000 units over 1 day or 3 months... If it were my company and the demand was what (it seems to be) It would be staggared over 3 months 'bud'.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO lets say youre a company... you know your product needs to be maintained in 12-18 months. and you sell your entire inventory on the first day lets say 100,000 units...
In 12-18 months all of those units are coming in for maintenance. Would it make more or less sense to stagger the release of those 100,000 units over 1 day or 3 months... If it were my company and the demand was what (it seems to be) It would be staggared over 3 months 'bud'.
Ha ha. You are taking to P&L now.
Am not about to do a buissness and financial planning for you. I will just say this, running a biz is not that simple.
If your scale will break you then you are in the wrong biz.

Please do not open your own biz:)))

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ha ha. Yoi are taking to P&L now.
Am not about to do a buissness and financial planning for you. I will just say this, running a biz is not that simple.
If your scale will break you then you are in the wrong biz.

Please do not open your own biz:)))
Have my own biz. it seems to be going ok. but thanks :).... This has nothing to do with scale. it has to do with timing. But - its not worth the discussion apparently...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have my own biz. it seems to be going ok. but thanks :).... This has nothing to do with scale. it has to do with timing. But - its not worth the discussion apparently...
For a small private company who have many employees and spending they need revenues my friend. There is no CEO in their right mind who say no to more revenues. If its profitable you scale with the demand and get revenues.
A dollar now worth more than a dollar next year..u know that right..:()

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beside btw. We are talking about 100 200 quanitiy..for the love of God if that's what they can afford scale wise then we should be more worried ha ha

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes, there’s always something down the road that ‘seems’ better - then details emerge and disappointment and disillusionment sets in.
You mean like when an understanding of the limitations of ISEs finally sets in?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all these upset people on here, I am actually starting to get hope that I might just get one in “round 2” restocking provided all these mad folks don’t “forgive and forget” on the next mailing they get from BRS saying they are back in stock!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was joking btw, So no offence. We all work hard for living

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At last and end to ALL criticism. Looks promising but I want to see results before purchase.

LOOKS LIKE THE INDUSTRY HAS AWOKEN. Trident has emerged, Reefbot has been underway and Vertex cerebra has even begun shipping !!

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, people are passionate about this Trident product on both sides of the scale. It sounds like a political arguement around election time. I like the fact that there is a company out there engineering and offering cutting edge products the way Neptune is. I dont have any of their products, but it is just a cost benefit analysis for me, as it should be with anyone. My system isn't valuable enough to insure it with the Apex or Trident. One day when I step up to a big boy (and girl) tank I may, but I see no reason to bash the products because I choose not to buy them. Are those people that are so critical of Neptunes products negative towards Ferrari? Or is this just people who want it but dont want to shell out for it? I dont understand the bashing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 44 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back