Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beside btw. We are talking about 100 200 quanitiy..for the love of God if that's what they can afford scale wise then we should be more worried ha ha

Where do you get 100-200 from (I’m assuming that’s what you meant rather than 100,200 ... which seems like an odd number)?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get 100-200 from (I’m assuming that’s what you meant rather than 100,200 ... which seems like an odd number)?
You will make people happy if you say you have more than the 100 that BRS sold..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw if moving forward it looked like am ignoring you, that's because I am;)

That’s ok. I find your posts borderline incoherent so consider the ignoring mutual. BTW, I don’t anticipate a response since you’re ignoring me LOL.

Last edited:

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would have spent a truck load of money on R&D and testing to bring this to market, they should charge (and make profit) accordingly to justify the risk - like any innovative business does. This is the most exciting innovation in the hobby for me, since LEDs !!

Some of these posts are like saying "How dare they charge $20k for that car, I can take the bus for much less, or walk for free"

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like when an understanding of the limitations of ISEs finally sets in?

I know next to nothing about ion electrodes. My comment was simply a reefing version of the grass being greener in my neighbors yard. I’ve seen too many pre hyped things fail to live up to that hype. I’ll go for the thing that works in the here and now over something speculative.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Ion Selective Electrodes.

No worries and thanks! Some background, I got a “C” in high school Chemistry, which is still rather embarrassing within the family. You see, my father has a Ph.D in Chemistry and then there’s my brother...

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would have spent a truck load of money on R&D and testing to bring this to market, they should charge (and make profit) accordingly to justify the risk - like any innovative business does. This is the most exciting innovation in the hobby for me, since LEDs !!

Some of these posts are like saying "How dare they charge $20k for that car, I can take the bus for much less, or walk for free"
I think there is a line between expecting reasonable pricing vs just complaining about the price.
I agree with your sentiment though...as I said before, it's not easy living off selling hardware only...

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you have done it differently?

Well - I think they were smart - actually to stagger the launch - especially if in 12-18 months they are going to be getting multiple modules in for maintenance. there is no other way they could have done it IMHO

What do you think the manufacturing cost is on the Trident? I wonder if it would have been possible for Neptune to approach large online retailers and request they offer preorders for X months prior to launch (Terrence already said the current launch date was known in advance) and then use whatever they actually produced for the current launch for brick & mortar as well as restocking.

It might cost 600$ but Neptune's cost/manufacturing could have surely met demand if they wanted to, no?

I didn't even think about that. Super smart to try and get an even flow back in for maintenance rather than a giant surge every year.

I don't want to type out a dissertation about importing and lead times. But it is something I deal with daily, along with the domestic sales of what we bring in. I also want to reiterate that I'm not bashing the product or anything else involved with any of the multiple others aspects of it, beyond the launch.

There are several factors that I obviously don't have knowledge of on their end. Like if they already have sufficient numbers of the sku on hand and are doling them out on a limited basis to deal with the, future, internal, issue of servicing the units. If that is the case then that's their, again internal, issue. There is over a year to figure out how to plan for that to be sure the, internal, infrastructure is in place.

If it's a shortage of product at launch problem then it's a lack of proper planning on their end. There could have been presales starting shortly after moving from Alpha to Beta testing. This would have given them much needed demand information to allow purchasing to get closer to meet the demand.

A happy customer is a good customer. There will always be a percentage that will never be happy no matter what a company does. But when you do things as a company that unintentionally alienate your target audience it's going to cost you one way or another. There are many people throughout this entire launch that have gone in another direction and there very well be many more that do so now. That's not a good thing for any company.

Am I a little miffed? Yeah I am. I wanted to support my LFS and pick one up from them but they only got one unit and it was pre-sold long ago. BRS sold their stock before the official launch time, so I'm SOL. On that note, who launches a product release at 3am to half of the countries population?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Service is 18 or 24 months I thought. Not that big of a deal.

Let me put the service into perspective for you. I'm an active scuba diver (hopefully others here would agree on this point) and I send in my equipment every other year for service and it runs me about 180 dollars give or take. This is my BC and regs. This is my life support so while I already shelled out a lot of money for my gear I want to know it is working fully every time I use it. This is even if I don't do many dives it still goes in.

Trident is no different. You are testing something in your tank. If you choose to do an action based on a reading then you should make sure it is always working and measuring and doing what it does correctly. Service is a piece of mind. Not a money grab by the vendor.
The problem with your analogy is that if another company offered the same thing without maintenance, wouldn't you choose that product over the one requiring maintenance?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back