Crystal Dynamics 72x24x24 Build Thread

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished your build thread after you posted on my question about sumps last night. Thanks for saying hi.

Man oh man can you grow some coral! Frags to colonies lickety split.

I would love to see more pics of under the stand particularly the electrical front and back (I know it’s all of our shame :p) but curious to see how it works and what room it takes up. Thinking I should probably go 48” sump after seeing some of your comments on sizing. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished your build thread after you posted on my question about sumps last night. Thanks for saying hi.

Man oh man can you grow some coral! Frags to colonies lickety split.

I would love to see more pics of under the stand particularly the electrical front and back (I know it’s all of our shame :p) but curious to see how it works and what room it takes up. Thinking I should probably go 48” sump after seeing some of your comments on sizing. Thanks again!
Hi,
Your asking a lot to show what is underneath the tank. I will warn you, it is not pretty! Someone needs to come up with a better way to control all of the bricks and power cords. The number you need is ridiculous!

Power Station (left hand side). I tried to do better with cord management, but the better you make it look, the harder it is to replace a device when it fails! Also, I added extension cords to the wave pumps so I can easily unplug and remove for maintenance (Pro tip )

99F98843-BB2C-43C8-B979-9E3BA58DE8B6.jpeg

Under the tank. The reactor on the right is for Zeovit. Behind the reactor is skimmer affluent. I use a Bashsea Twister (which I love), but the design requires an external container for the cup to drain into.

7FF3D37C-6CFE-41E8-A8FA-CFD11945D25B.jpeg

Right side close up…. The little white box is a Wyze streaming camera incase I get a warning and need to look when I am not home.

2D4159FA-ED16-4464-9D7F-C2644A3E7046.jpeg

Left side close up…. Yes, all of the blue bottles are Zeovit. I am a big fan of Zeovit… and it is not as expensive to use as one would lead you to believe.

A0ED1BC5-8151-4E68-9EC4-749200A3E64E.jpeg

Frag cabinet… I store the calcium reactor (Geo) under here. Not really enough room under the tank. I am also dosing a diluted Zeostart 3 which is under here too in the fancy plastic dosing container LOL.

E6B59296-A6AF-48DE-8A87-B06C8FEB6ED9.jpeg

The ”full monte“.
Note i did not clean the glass for these photos… that comes tomorrow

3EF33832-4E1C-4A61-9FA7-D9F4F56EADF2.jpeg

I hope this helps with your planning. Just understand there will never be enough room under the stand so plan for an external cabinet too and save yourself the heartache.

Happy Reefing!
Tom

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Your asking a lot to show what is underneath the tank. I will warn you, it is not pretty! Someone needs to come up with a better way to control all of the bricks and power cords. The number you need is ridiculous!

Power Station (left hand side). I tried to do better with cord management, but the better you make it look, the harder it is to replace a device when it fails! Also, I added extension cords to the wave pumps so I can easily unplug and remove for maintenance (Pro tip )

99F98843-BB2C-43C8-B979-9E3BA58DE8B6.jpeg

Under the tank. The reactor on the right is for Zeovit. Behind the reactor is skimmer affluent. I use a Bashsea Twister (which I love), but the design requires an external container for the cup to drain into.

7FF3D37C-6CFE-41E8-A8FA-CFD11945D25B.jpeg

Right side close up…. The little white box is a Wyze streaming camera incase I get a warning and need to look when I am not home.

2D4159FA-ED16-4464-9D7F-C2644A3E7046.jpeg

Left side close up…. Yes, all of the blue bottles are Zeovit. I am a big fan of Zeovit… and it is not as expensive to use as one would lead you to believe.

A0ED1BC5-8151-4E68-9EC4-749200A3E64E.jpeg

Frag cabinet… I store the calcium reactor (Geo) under here. Not really enough room under the tank. I am also dosing a diluted Zeostart 3 which is under here too in the fancy plastic dosing container LOL.

E6B59296-A6AF-48DE-8A87-B06C8FEB6ED9.jpeg

The ”full monte“.
Note i did not clean the glass for these photos… that comes tomorrow

3EF33832-4E1C-4A61-9FA7-D9F4F56EADF2.jpeg

I hope this helps with your planning. Just understand there will never be enough room under the stand so plan for an external cabinet too and save yourself the heartache.

Happy Reefing!
Tom
You rock for posting this and thanks for crushing my dreams. No for real I appreciate you posting this because I really didn’t know how it would all go and couldn’t see how a simple “electrical cabinet” option on the stand was going to solve all the issues I have with even my 24g tank I have right now which also uses a dedicated free standing cabinet off to a side.

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Thanks for sharing the build.

Looks like you have a couple of square back anthius. They are considered somewhat aggressive. Any problems with your other fish?

Do you get buildup residue at the water line level with the eurobracing?

thanks,

Bob

OP
OP
Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! Thanks for sharing the build.

Looks like you have a couple of square back anthius. They are considered somewhat aggressive. Any problems with your other fish?

Do you get buildup residue at the water line level with the eurobracing?

thanks,

Bob
Hi and thank you. I have not had any problems with the anthius. They have been great tank mates.

Regarding the euro bracing. No build up what so ever. I am very happy with it

Happy reefing

Tom

Rewd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you liking this tank now in 2023? Is it still running? I am looking at this exact size from CDA except I'd be doing an 8020 stand.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back