cyanobacteria question

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of cyanobacteria which frequent water changes did not completely take care of. I used chemiclean and it did not the job beautifully. The problem I'm having is that I can't use my skimmer. Its been about two weeks since I used the Chemiclean and everyday I try my skimmer but even on the lowest setting the bubbles rapidly overflow into the cup. I have an reef octopus skimmer. The parameters in my tank are as follows:
PH 8
Alkalinity 9
salinity 35
PH 8
Ca 500
Mg 1300
Phosphate 0.06
Nitrates 8 ppm
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for everyone's help.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of cyanobacteria which frequent water changes did not completely take care of. I used chemiclean and it did not the job beautifully. The problem I'm having is that I can't use my skimmer. Its been about two weeks since I used the Chemiclean and everyday I try my skimmer but even on the lowest setting the bubbles rapidly overflow into the cup. I have an reef octopus skimmer. The parameters in my tank are as follows:
PH 8
Alkalinity 9
salinity 35
PH 8
Ca 500
Mg 1300
Phosphate 0.06
Nitrates 8 ppm
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for everyone's help.
You just gotta let it bubble out and replace it with fresh saltwater. Get rid of them toxins.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree— since that’s what the Chemiclean ‘wants to do,’ your probably retarding the process of getting rid of the chemical by not letting it skim out. I don’t know your set-up (internal skimmer, external skimmer, etc), but maybe get creative and with the cup lid off, let the wet bubbles overflow into a large plastic trash bag. Just brainstorming on that last part. Lol.

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 20% water change the next day and have auto water change set up to change out 4 gallons a day. The tank is 150 gallons. So its an internal slimmer. On the lowest setting it will fill up the cup in probably a minute. How do I do that? Should I do more water changes. Would that help? Thanks

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the skimmer overflowing back into the sump for aeration.
Change the carbon every 2-3 days. 100ml/grams should do the job.

Last time I cleaned out ChemiClean, I did a 20% WC on day 1 with carbon.
Day 2 I did another 20% WC and my skimmer calmed down enough to start tuning it. Then I used the skimmer to remove the rest of the gunk with cup water removal and water replacement until it calmed down enough to return the skimmer to normal.
Your situation will differ, but essentially you'll need to use the skimmer to 'dump' the water until you can tune your skimmer.

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the skimmer overflowing back into the sump for aeration.
Change the carbon every 2-3 days. 100ml/grams should do the job.

Last time I cleaned out ChemiClean, I did a 20% WC on day 1 with carbon.
Day 2 I did another 20% WC and my skimmer calmed down enough to start tuning it. Then I used the skimmer to remove the rest of the gunk with cup water removal and water replacement until it calmed down enough to return the skimmer to normal.
Your situation will differ, but essentially you'll need to use the skimmer to 'dump' the water until you can tune your skimmer.
Thanks you all. Did a 30 gallon water change this AM and was able to start my skimmer. Thanks again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back