Cyanobacteria

micdri81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heavy red cyanobacteria and I was wondering what I can do to fix that? I finished a round of chemiclean and it didn't work I am doing a water change should I do another round of chemiclean tmr?

1714939814566145556324939405040.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curioisty, what do the nitrates and phosphate levels look like (and what test kits are being used)?

You could add a jar of galaxy pods or other non-tigrio pods to help eat it. Other than that I would just manually siphon as much out and see how that helps over time.

Are there corals in the tank? If not, you can just turn the light intensity down.

OP
OP
M

micdri81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curioisty, what do the nitrates and phosphate levels look like (and what test kits are being used)?

You could add a jar of galaxy pods or other non-tigrio pods to help eat it. Other than that I would just manually siphon as much out and see how that helps over time.

Are there corals in the tank? If not, you can just turn the light intensity down.
I have no idea what my nitrates and phos is I don't have a test kit yet I only use a hydrometer, I have a tiny coral and only keep the lights on for 7hrs I will probably just do another round of chemiclean and siphon what I can! ty for all your help!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what my nitrates and phos is I don't have a test kit yet I only use a hydrometer, I have a tiny coral and only keep the lights on for 7hrs I will probably just do another round of chemiclean and siphon what I can! ty for all your help!

You 100% need a quality nitrate and phosphate test. Avoid using chemiclean as its an antibiotic

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to focus on achieving good water quality, increase the flow in the tank if it is on the stagnant side and just give it time. If this is a new tank, then this is normal and just part of the ugly phase. I personally don't use any kind of treatments, chemicals or potions that are designed to get rid of algae or cyanobacteria.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back