Cycle new tank & mislead by LFS

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, what kind of corals do you want to have/what do you want your tank to look like in a year or two from now? Probably shouldn't ask that same salesman which beginner corals are good for you...

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add more ammonia, but maybe start adding beginner corals to bring in some life, maybe a zoa or two

And selling those rocks to you as live rocks is probably questionable
Basically he gave those to me free , I would not be surprised if wasn't live rock cause I don't trust him BUT I found 2 nano brittle and 3-4 Asterina in it so idk I'm really just a beginner here
He said they was on his other aquarium/ sump idk something like that

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, what kind of corals do you want to have/what do you want your tank to look like in a year or two from now? Probably shouldn't ask that same salesman which beginner corals are good for you...
So really I like it simple, the soft corals just look amazing with all of this movement, I don't think I will go Sps on first tank try :S and it's 55 Liter so it is more hard as I heard

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So really I like it simple, the soft corals just look amazing with all of this movement, I don't think I will go Sps on first tank try :S and it's 55 Liter so it is more hard as I heard
Ah ok then maybe a sarcophyton/mushroom leather, zoas, maybe rhodactis that you put in the sand not on the main rock, an easy photosynthetic gorgonian maybe

Then later maybe acanthastrea and favia etc

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically he gave those to me free , I would not be surprised if wasn't live rock cause I don't trust him BUT I found 2 nano brittle and 3-4 Asterina in it so idk I'm really just a beginner here
He said they was on his other aquarium/ sump idk something like that
Ah ok then it wasn't a scam at all, they are dead rock that was in a living system for at least some amount of time, that's good

Not as good as actual life rock, but when you get corals, that should liven up the tank

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , sounds good .
I didn't know not to put it on the actual rock at first so thanks for the advice, should I put in a hermit crab / fire shrimps at first?
2 Clown fish's?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , sounds good .
I didn't know not to put it on the actual rock at first so thanks for the advice, should I put in a hermit crab / fire shrimps at first?
2 Clown fish's?
I'd say corals first, they help with the cycle too, then some snails and hermits, then fish and shrimp later

Not on the rock was because rhodactis can spread a lot and cover the entire rock, which may not be what you want. Zoas can do that too but might be easier to deal with. The rest of the corals can go on the rock

Is a clownfish tank what you really want? It's a bit small for that, but you could do instead go for an anemone and not much else in the tank... Don't get an anemone just yet though

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
So I will try to do it shortly :)
Always wanted a saltwater reef, so I went to LFS and bought a 15G tank, He gave me water that already worked in another system ( he said to reduce the cycle time) And RedSea starter kit. I was told to put 1\2 ML no pox and 1ml of bacto start each day until he said so, without any explanations and directions, just take and put without the nitro-back and kh coralline (checked the manuals, and it was completely not as they advice of dosing)
After a week without a fish, he got the fish that I wanted so he called me to take it (A beautiful little Black spotted box-fish) without any measurements or tests.
Of course, after days and nights of reading, I understood on my own that the fish should not be in that little tank, and of course not on the cycle.
I returned the poor fish after 2 days to the store.
I understood that he only wants money, so here i am to ask you about my cycle and what to add \ to help the water to be ready and healthy
Currently, my Amo test is 0.5, nitrites 2, nitrates 100-+
I have live rocks that he gave me ( have some creatures in them)and sand , he told me today not to water change at all , and just when I asked him today about the nitro bac he told me to add them (DAY 10!)
I read about Dr. Tim's products and thought about stopping using what he gave me and putting the one & only live nitrifying bacteria for reef but I'm afraid to change without consulting, I still didn't put any nitro-bac in there, and I'm aiming for soft corals, shrimps and a few fishes.
I would appreciate help, I'm a bit lost cause I can't trust him after he gave me that poor fish.
Added a pictures of my tank and everything
A box fish would be huge challenge in 15g.
Even in 150g, they remain super difficult.
If you love this fish, you’ll need way bigger home.

As to cycle, rock, sand, saltwater, flow, bacteria once +2 days and your cycled.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Don't add more ammonia, but maybe start adding beginner corals to bring in some life, maybe a zoa or two

And selling those rocks to you as live rocks is probably questionable
I dont advise a boxfish period. They need pristine water (not in a new tank) and often start out eating then shut down, susceptible to ich and bacterial issues and similar to cowfish

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont advise a boxfish period. They need pristine water (not in a new tank) and often start out eating then shut down, susceptible to ich and bacterial issues and similar to cowfish
I didn't say anything about a box fish, I thought that one was returned to store? Yeah don't take that one back @Royl14 , tank way to small

Right on the border of being too small for clownfish too of you want to have any other corals

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the first post mentioned you got a box fish but returned it.
Just trying to advise you of the requirements should you get another once your system is up and running.

I’d add a clown pair in that 15g, they will continue to move your system forward.

There ok with smaller areas as they stick close to home.

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeah I returned the box fish after 24 hours after research I was furious on the seller about that .
That's the point that I started not to trust him so I went here xD
So I thought about small pair of clown fishes , cleaning clew and idk maybe more 1-2 peaceful small fishes that get along with clown fishes

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response!
I didn't add ammonia , just as he said
Bacto start And no pox .
So you advise to let it be, continue with both of them without adding nitrifying bacteria (Dr.tim/nitro back from the starter kit )
Or literally not to put anything else
Are you using the API ammonia test kit? oops. Yeah probably rock die off

Those give false positives in saltwater at the low range and most people don't even use them

If you have pods on your live rocks I would take the water to the lfs to test for ammonia BC you may be cycled

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those give false positives in saltwater at the low range and most people don't even use them

If you have pods on your live rocks I would take the water to the lfs to test for ammonia BC you may be cycled
Hey I'm using salifert test
And I think I will take my water tomorrow to the lfs I thunk you could be right !
Thanks for the advice

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not to take this thread too far off track, but your post makes no sense. First, API doesn't give "false positives", it just tests total ammonia so even if free ammo is in a safe range, the test can still show there is some ammonia present. Second, LOTS of people use API.

And third, if you're so against using API, why advise the OP to have a LFS test their water?? Most LFS use API, LOL!!

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys quick update, quick questions
Went to another LFS , he gave me 1 skunk shrimp named larry, 2 GSP and I don't remember the name of the other one , please help me recognize it xD he said mushroom or something
Parameters are good , 0 +- amonia , nitrite 0.1 , Nitrates 25 (a bit high)
I do not have any phosphate on my test (0)
I just noticed something crawling on my coral that I do not recognized is this parasite / harmless ( can't get a perfect shot)
Added a video , I honestly don't think it's a good being but Idk :)

Attachments

• 20240407_224055.jpg
    20240407_224055.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 21
  • VID-20240408-WA0005.mp4
    20 MB
  • 20240408_003653.jpg
    20240408_003653.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240408_002118.jpg
    20240408_002118.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey , Help!
So after the Green Polyps was good and skunk shrimp
I got yesterday evening Zoa and Tree coral/ sinularia Leather and 2 clowns.
All was good clowns were a bit stressed, 1 of them still. They dig a hole in the sandbed on the corner of the aquarium, today checked for Nitrates and it climbed to 50-80 .
LFS told me not to water change because of the new fish, and to wait a day.. is it fine for them with those rates?
Any suggestions on how to help them calm down and be less stressed?
All good zoa is a bit open after 12 hours and the tree was good too but now I see him shrinking and turning black, suddenly more "fluffy" he was really fine until 5 minutes ago !
i put him in the mid side of the tank, flow there should be a low-mid rate

20240410_134728.jpg 20240410_111902.jpg 20240410_112820.jpg 20240410_134735.jpg 20240410_143303.jpg

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to slow down a bit. You don't have any live rock, and you don't know how long the dry rock was even cured. Also what light are you using? Could be the camera but the pics look a bit dark.
The sand looks still pristine which tells me that the ugly phase is still to be expected. Did you attach the Kenia tree with super glue? I don't think that's going to work.

OP
OP
R

Royl14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to slow down a bit. You don't have any live rock, and you don't know how long the dry rock was even cured. Also what light are you using? Could be the camera but the pics look a bit dark.
The sand looks still pristine which tells me that the ugly phase is still to be expected. Did you attach the Kenia tree with super glue? I don't think that's going to work.
Hey thanks for the lady reply
I was doing it under other lfs that I went to , after the first one was untrustable.
I did attached the kenia with glue as the lfs told me.
How do you recommend to go on from here?
Every other coral seem to be happy
1 Clown fish had starting to eat , the other one still a bit stress
I'm using the lights of the tank, was a bit dark cause I read that could help the clown fish to calm down a bit

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back