Cycling and AIO back chamber water level question

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, today I changed my filter socks into these filter cup with filter floss in it. I’m 10 days into cycle and so far ammonia is 0, some nitrite and nitrate. I didn’t realize the bacteria can be living on the socks and took all four out to wash it. There is fish in the tank will I be in big trouble?

I also find one side of the overflow the water level sits below the lip of the filter cup/socks but the other side is higher. I added two piece of new sponge and one pack of bio ball under the lower water level side and water level didn’t change. There’s nothing under the cups in high water level chamber, but next to it I put two pieces of sponge and one pack of bioball since day 1, I also added one pack of bioball in that second chamber. I checked the tank is level so I don’t really know what’s wrong… Any help is appreciated, thanks.
IMG_5242.jpeg
IMG_5243.jpeg IMG_5241.jpeg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria live in the rock. Changing out the socks isn’t going to have an impact on the bacteria in the tank. If that were the case, none of us would change our socks. You really don’t need the bio balls or extra sponge for the bacteria. I don’t understand that if the tank is level, how the overflows could not be. Are the filter sock holders sitting at the same level under the bottom of the overflows? It could be that one is sitting higher because of the items underneath are pushing up that side up. Can you post a picture showing the front of the tank, including the water levels on both overflows?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back