Cycling salt water tank stuck at nitrite stage

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently doing a fishless cycle. I’ve used turbo which is help a ton and moved the cycle a long tremendously. And now it seems like my ammonia is going down to around 0.5/0.25 in a 24 hour period which i think is pretty good. I dosed the tank with 2-3 ppm. As for my nitrites and nitrates, they are still pretty high. I was wondering what do people do when they get stuck in the nitrite stage?
Here is a pic if it helps:
480F2F0D-9FB1-4974-9590-191FE69C9DE7.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite takes a bit longer than ammonia to process. Don't worry. Give it a little bit longer. Heck if you want you can even crank the temp up to 81 degrees or so or lower the salinity a bit to potentially speed it up. But like I said, it doesn't matter and you will get there in just a bit.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently doing a fishless cycle. I’ve used turbo which is help a ton and moved the cycle a long tremendously. And now it seems like my ammonia is going down to around 0.5/0.25 in a 24 hour period which i think is pretty good. I dosed the tank with 2-3 ppm. As for my nitrites and nitrates, they are still pretty high. I was wondering what do people do when they get stuck in the nitrite stage?
Here is a pic if it helps:
480F2F0D-9FB1-4974-9590-191FE69C9DE7.jpeg
Just wait, nothing to worry about. :D

The cycling process is simple with ammonia-dosing:
  1. Dose 1ppm ammonia.
  2. Add nitrifiers (established biomedia, bottled bac, etc.).
  3. Check ammonia + nitrite every 24h.
  4. If both ammonia + nitrite read 0 within 24h after dosing 1ppm ammonia, tank is cycled. Otherwise re-dose ammonia and repeat (3).
You are basically at stage (3). So just continue from there.

By the way, a lot of people may come in to say not to worry about nitrite because nitrite is non-toxic to marine fish. This is not true, our resident go-to chemistry expert has wrote about this: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/rhf/index.php. It is true that nitrite needs to be very high to be lethal to marine fish, but can already cause long term side effects at lower concentrations of 25ppm or so, which is still high.

Which is why you still need to ensure your tank can handle nitrite as well as ammonia effectively, lest you risk your fish' health due to prolonged exposure to nitrite.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be good to go.

Ammonia often tests false positives 0.25ppm.

Nitrites aren’t toxic in sea water.

Nitrates aren’t toxic, and the presence of 1ppm nitrites can make nitrates appear much higher than reality.

Stop dosing ammonia, do a water change, and add your quarantined fish.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite (NO2) finally going down to zero can take up months. Nitrobacter is a very slow grower in salt water.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that nitrite needs to be very high to be lethal to marine fish, but can already cause long term side effects at lower concentrations of 25ppm or so, which is still high
The article you posted shows that nitrites are not toxic at the levels OP is having. They will eventually go down to 0.

I personally don’t even test for nitrites anymore (not even with cycling). It’s a very useless test kit for the saltwater fish owners.

View Badges
Wait another month then test again no hurry ,do research on what type of tank you want mix,lps,sps,algae,seahorse ,what you going for. What corals and fish you want start getting that list ready while you wait it out. look for cleanup crew and pick which site you gonna get them at. Figure out a routine a maintenance schedule lots to do till that tank is ready. Start getting frozen food put in freezer , get test kits, get ready for the animals while you wait.little by little

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it sounds like I just need to continue with the dosing of ammonia then. Is there a problem with nitrites continuing to increase? Like, could it cause the cycle to crash if I kept on going?

As for tests for saltwater, which ones do most people use? I want to make sure that I have the most accurate tests as I know parameter testing is super important.

View Badges
Don't have to dose ammonia anymore the cycle started only dose ammonia to get it started then add bacteria to help cycle or just leave alone no more dosing ammonia It will keep cycling it will never end.

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change in 3-4 days if it doesn't go down and if in a day its not zero do another 25% water change (Nitrite only). Your cycle is done get a clown or two, dose the tank with another bottle of turbo 900 before you add them and good luck with the empty wallet.

And yes no more ammonia, this is only after your ammonia is 0 or in your case .25 since you have an API test kit.

View Badges
Oh ok, I thought you keep dosing the tank with ammonia to maintain the bacteria that you already have if it’s a fishless cycle.
Just leave alone it will cycle by itself it's started, While you wait please read about saltwater aquariums more and keep reading Learn . find 1 person that you like there tank and shoot for that look ask them questions when you have problems just 1 person if you ask many they will confuse you to many answer to 1 question. Ask a professional reefer just some advice before you put some animals in tank .oh watch BRS lots of it ,coral euphoria ,youtube for beginners in saltwater hobby.have fun it's a great hobby will put a smile on your face everyday,find patience and only do 1 thing at a time little by little.

OP
OP
K

kaijor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change in 3-4 days if it doesn't go down and if in a day its not zero do another 25% water change (Nitrite only). Your cycle is done get a clown or two, dose the tank with another bottle of turbo 900 before you add them and good luck with the empty wallet.

And yes no more ammonia, this is only after your ammonia is 0 or in your case .25 since you have an API test kit.
I’m not sure if i should put a clown in if I’m getting a mantis shrimp though.
Just leave alone it will cycle by itself it's started, While you wait please read about saltwater aquariums more and keep reading Learn . find 1 person that you like there tank and shoot for that look ask them questions when you have problems just 1 person if you ask many they will confuse you to many answer to 1 question. Ask a professional reefer just some advice before you put some animals in tank .oh watch BRS lots of it ,coral euphoria ,youtube for beginners in saltwater hobby.have fun it's a great hobby will put a smile on your face everyday,find patience and only do 1 thing at a time little by little.
Oh, I actually know what I want to put in the tank already, a mantis shrimp. I’ll keep looking up information though for sure. There’s so much out there. I do look at BRS as much as I can. They are definitely super informative. Been liking this hobby already so much learn but that’s what makes it interesting.

View Badges
Do research on mantis shrimp more research ,dont put no fish in tank yet why make a fish suffer, no reason to ,just wait cycle out then put your mantis in there have fun

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it sounds like I just need to continue with the dosing of ammonia then. Is there a problem with nitrites continuing to increase? Like, could it cause the cycle to crash if I kept on going?
Yes, which is also why you should not constantly dose ammonia. Anybody who suggests to keep dosing ammonia is wrong and do not understand the science of nitrification.
As for tests for saltwater, which ones do most people use? I want to make sure that I have the most accurate tests as I know parameter testing is super important.
There is no issues with the API Master Test Kit. The others are wrong there too.

On that note, people who suggests to 'just wait' are also wrong. Being obstinately 'patient' is not the way to go. Sure there are periods of wait time, but there's no reason to not take action when something can be done.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back