Cycling with a HI784 Hanna ammonia checker

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've started a fishless cycle using Fritz Ammonium Chloride powder. I went to check that I hit ~4ppm and realized that my HI784 checker measures nh3+nh4 with an upper range of 2.5ppm.

Is it possible to use a HI784 or should I grab something else for a cycle or just trust that I added ~4ppm based on ~6g for ~120 gallon and wait to see if it reduces.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the cycle is done, you probably will never use the ammonia tester again, so for that reason I would not want to spend the money on another tester. Some experienced reefers don't even test for ammonia during the cycle, just test for nitrate, once you see nitrate, it means that ammonia is being converted to nitrite/nitrate.

The ammonia will drop, I would suggest to wait it out. But thats my 2 cents, if you're curious and want to track the cycle then nothing wrong with getting another tester. Even API tester is adequate, just to guide you through the cycle.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about getting a different tester. Just wait until it comes down.

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the validation all.

I’m pretty sure I overdosed ammonia because I saw 2.5ppm on the tester and was like “oh, gotta go higher” then tested again and saw 2.5ppm a second time before realizing that’s the testers max range.

If this were freshwater I’d just leave the excess ammonia and assume it won’t stall the cycle so that’s probably what I’ll do here. Maybe a little water change to be safe.

nh3 vs nh4 testers always confuse my tiny brain.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've started a fishless cycle using Fritz Ammonium Chloride powder. I went to check that I hit ~4ppm and realized that my HI784 checker measures nh3+nh4 with an upper range of 2.5ppm.

Is it possible to use a HI784 or should I grab something else for a cycle or just trust that I added ~4ppm based on ~6g for ~120 gallon and wait to see if it reduces.
This is easy to fix.

Just mix a sample of the aquarium with an equal part of new saltwater. The result you obtain with the Checker will be 1/2 the amount in the aquarium. This way you can spy on the progress of your bacteria.

By the way which nitrifying bacteria product did you add?

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is easy to fix.

Just mix a sample of the aquarium with an equal part of new saltwater. The result you obtain with the Checker will be 1/2 the amount in the aquarium. This way you can spy on the progress of your bacteria.

By the way which nitrifying bacteria product did you add?

Good call. I'll try that and see how high it actually is. I added TurboStart 900 but I'll probably throw in some Tim's just to give it a lil' better chance after my extra high ammonia dose.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. I'll try that and see how high it actually is. I added TurboStart 900 but I'll probably throw in some Tim's just to give it a lil' better chance after my extra high ammonia dose.
I find Turbo Start to consistently work within days to lower ammonia while Dr. Tim’s can take weeks to do anything. Maybe save your money :)

OP
OP
cowfootball

cowfootball

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As is always the case in nature: it finds a way.

I think I dosed probably ~16ppm of ammonia before I understood that the Hanna checker wouldn't go above 2.5ppm (trying to get to 4). Nitrites were >200 on day 3 (the limit on the tester) and now here we are on day 5 with ammonia and nitrites down at 0.

Time to do a large water change and dose an actual sane amount of ammonium chloride and make sure we're good to go!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back