OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In which mode you are running you Gyre?

So I have been running alternating every 10 min but I am going to turn them both on all the time plus add a maxi pump..
I'm curious why do you say light out wont do anything because i'm afraid to do it but I have only heard good things about it. This is how I understand it to be..
days 1 algae dies
day 2 it breaks down
day 3 makes it way to fiter sock and out of tank
day 4 uncover and slowly add light and food..

Would like to know why you say not to do it. I was told if you have unhealthy coral they wont survive it but they wont survive anyway. If healthy all should do fine...
Have you done it with NG results?

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand people do the lights out thing for algae but it causes more harm to your corals then anything, you did alot of work itll go away in about a week

Well I'm adding more flow tonight because after all that work stupid cyno reared its ugly head anyway.. Just a bit but still there! Tonight im switching both PH to constant on and adding a maxi jet!

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a good diatom bloom but I think it came from the fact my calcium and magnesium got low....I got those levels up to the high normal range and the tank is getting much cleaner! I did increase my flow a bit as well.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been running alternating every 10 min but I am going to turn them both on all the time plus add a maxi pump..
I'm curious why do you say light out wont do anything because i'm afraid to do it but I have only heard good things about it. This is how I understand it to be..
days 1 algae dies
day 2 it breaks down
day 3 makes it way to fiter sock and out of tank
day 4 uncover and slowly add light and food..

Would like to know why you say not to do it. I was told if you have unhealthy coral they wont survive it but they wont survive anyway. If healthy all should do fine...
Have you done it with NG results?
I've done it. It did not work for me.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I dunno its wierd i never tried the lights out, the only thing i would prop try that on is bryopsis if its gunna be worth it lol but 3 days of lights out sounds too crazy for me , people take cyano so seriously when its basically bound to happy to everyone, i litterally just got cyano this weekend of my sand, everytime i got it i juss cutdown on feeding and turned up the flow and it went in 3 weeks most

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno its wierd i never tried the lights out, the only thing i would prop try that on is bryopsis if its gunna be worth it lol but 3 days of lights out sounds too crazy for me , people take cyano so seriously when its basically bound to happy to everyone, i litterally just got cyano this weekend of my sand, everytime i got it i juss cutdown on feeding and turned up the flow and it went in 3 weeks most

Your right! It may not really be that big of a deal.. I have some small frags and a few have been in trouble with being covered n cyno and they are so small they whited out literally the few hours I was out of the house and I blew off the cyno but it never recovered.. Fortunately most aren't that small but I have lost 2 smalls so far.Snce the big cleaning it seems a bit better.. guess I ride it out for a while..
Hey, that's for the in put!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back