Daily Dose of Adorable

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a hobby I've had since I was a kid is raising domestic ducks (and occasionally geese to protect them and keep annoying Canada geese away) as "green" pond treatment. They eat algae, mosquito larvae, weeds, slugs, and other pest critters in retention ponds.

It's also pretty darn cute so that's an added bonus. Anyway, here are my first four. Will have about ten more arriving tomorrow.

A buff goose, emden goose, buff Orpington duck, and white layer duckling.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

A real benefit is that domestic ducks, but especially not domestic geese, don't tolerate nasty Canada geese on the pond oftentimes. Added bonus!

Geese don't want to compete or get chased off. Domestic ducks are 2-3x the size of wild a domestic geese are larger than Canada geese. In the case of an emden goose to the tune of 10lbs or more and they're much friendlier.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone curious about what the heck domestic ducks and geese "breeds" look like as adults:

image.jpeg
Smaller black is an east India duck, behind a Cayuga, back left a khaki Campbell
image.jpeg
Buff goose image.jpeg
Emden goose image.jpeg
Magpie duck image.jpeg
Created khaki Campbell image.jpeg
Created buff Orpington image.jpeg
Created blackSwedish image.jpeg
Created blue Swedish image.jpeg
Welch harlequin image.jpeg
Buff Orpington drake

OK the breed names posted on the wrong bird, they're one "delayed"

There are others these are just a few that I have.

Yes crested exist for nearly every "breed"

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow so cute!!!!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww. A friend of mine raises ducks. Our Township doesn't allow them. Not that it has stopped some people and our nature center has its share of domestics running around. Two very beautiful ones showed up last spring, maybe you know the breed? They are black with white chests?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww. A friend of mine raises ducks. Our Township doesn't allow them. Not that it has stopped some people and our nature center has its share of domestics running around. Two very beautiful ones showed up last spring, maybe you know the breed? They are black with white chests?
Yup sounds like black Swedish!
image.jpeg
They're 2-3x the size of wild mallard ducks (their cousins).

If they're the size of mallard's or smaller they're probably call ducks or call X mallard crosses.

Here is a bibbed call duck image.jpeg

In Michigan if you don't have a fountain or pump moving water all winter where you find them, they're probably call ducks. Call ducks can fly and survive winter without help. Most domestic ducks are bred too fat with short wings to fly so they need a pump to keep the water from freezing since they cannot relocate

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you raise them do you set them free or continue to feed and house them?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are the Swedish. They are bigger than the mallards. As far as surviving winter idk. It was a big debate but the caretakers at the center ended up building shelters for the big white guys so the black ones may have gone south or just gone in lol.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I'm a cat person myself been raising them for 25 years ( not breeding, all of them have been kitten rescues. Down to two now maybe down to one after Thursday ( one is 15 and going in for surgery and they think it's cancer.) but yes have had them all since each was 6 to 7 weeks old the oldest was my first and he passed at 19

When I win the lottery and move out of this condo I'll make a pond and keep ducks heck yes

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back