Dawn's 56g memorial seahorse tank!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be one of the most inspirational build threads I have read. My hats off to you for trying to provide the best home possible for your ponies and having such compassion and care. I'll be following for sure. Great work

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These first few days can be so stressful!!!! Good luck!
Thanks Renee, it is very stressful. He is looking and moving a bit more and I have seen him snick a few times but am not sure he got anything. I did get live brine shrimp and I offered some right away while the rest is being enriched. Tonight I will work on getting some amphipods from my culture.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be one of the most inspirational build threads I have read. My hats off to you for trying to provide the best home possible for your ponies and having such compassion and care. I'll be following for sure. Great work
Thank you tj w for such encouraging words. I needed that since my young seahorses are being so finicky about eating.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns out that my amphipod culture is doing much better than I ever imagined. I easily shook out 50+ amphipods into a bucket of water. I took about 30 or so of those and added them to the QT where the new ponies are recovering from shipping stress.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning most of the live artemia that I was enriching was dead. :-( I offered a netful that were still living but the little boy ignored them. I was really feeling desperate. I should have done this sooner but I prayed for my little ponies. Then I vacumed the bottom and did a small WC and after added more amphipods. He immediately stretched out and ate 2. PTL! Now that the hunger strike is broken I think he will be ok. They will still probably be finicky but I think they'll eventually get there and settle in. :)!!!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little boy has lightened up to a chocolate brown color with stripes from being black. I will take the lightening up as a sign that he is a little more relaxed and less stressed which is encouraging.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I felt bad that the new babies are getting all the love and Eve is being left out. I noticed that her color is changing from brownish red to yelowish, orangeish brown.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning most of the live artemia that I was enriching was dead. :-( I offered a netful that were still living but the little boy ignored them. I was really feeling desperate. I should have done this sooner but I prayed for my little ponies. Then I vacumed the bottom and did a small WC and after added more amphipods. He immediately stretched out and ate 2. PTL! Now that the hunger strike is broken I think he will be ok. They will still probably be finicky but I think they'll eventually get there and settle in. :)!!!

They can be such butts!!! So glad he's eating.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good news everyone. I had ordered ghost shrimp for my little juvenile/adult seahorses and they finally came today. They were worth the wait because they are smaller than usual. I put 5 or 6 small ones in and Ruth and Boaz lit up immediately. Then those sweet little babies hunted down shrimp with ruthless, deadly precision. Boaz sucked one in as big as his head! Ruth prefers to snap them in half and try to eat both parts before Boaz cashes in on her kill.
As you can see they are hitched in the open now which is a good sign that they are settling down.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Great news indeed. Are you enriching the ghost shrimp with anything or are they ok for seahorses as is?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Great news indeed. Are you enriching the ghost shrimp with anything or are they ok for seahorses as is?
The first ones I tossed in were not enriched because I just wanted the little seahorses to get some food. The rest are being enriched with Dan's Feed, an enrichment I bought at Seahorse Source.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first ones I tossed in were not enriched because I just wanted the little seahorses to get some food. The rest are being enriched with Dan's Feed, an enrichment I bought at Seahorse Source.

Good to know. I have a customer that keeps coming to me asking about seahorses and shark eggs. I've told him so many times to come on here and talk to you and Krista, but he doesn't listen. So, I'm trying to learn a little more about it for him. :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I have a customer that keeps coming to me asking about seahorses and shark eggs. I've told him so many times to come on here and talk to you and Krista, but he doesn't listen. So, I'm trying to learn a little more about it for him. :)
Tell him I don't bite, honest! You may ask me any questions he has however. Also Renee 'Lionfish lair' is very knowledgeable and experienced.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back