OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the pastel bright corals are on the brink of death, prove me wrong, good luck and merry christmas :)
Thank you!

I have a lot of fish and I do plan to feed heavy + feed aminos. I won’t let my corals starve. I promise.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do plan to keep detectable phosphates at all times. It prevents dino and corals do need some. :)
I’m not sure it is low phos, may be something else, perhaps iron. Some things including Dino’s produce siderophores which liberate iron. If it were easy they would be a definitive guide, it’s not, so there isn’t one. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To say my zeovit knowledge is non existent is an understatement. I’m guessing you’ve done your homework.
Yes!

Here’s the plan:

Salinity: 35ppt
Temperature: 80F
Alkalinity: 7dKH
Calcium: 400-420ppm
Magnesium: 1250-1350ppm

I have 2L of zeolites (changed monthly) + zeostart3 (carbon source) + zeobak (bacteria)

That’s all I need to start the system.

This is what @Hans-Werner says about Nitrogen in a different thread:

Sorry, I did not go through the thread but want to answer your question directly: Phosphate doesn't make corals brown or brownish, it are the nitrogen compounds like nitrate or ammonium.

Very easy test: Carefully dose ammonium but avoid such miscalculations under all circumstances. You will notice an almost immediate darkening of corals, in just one or two days. Exception: Other nutrients like iron are limiting and avoiding browning.

I think this might be the case. Some zeolites do remove some ammonia + a little nitrate.

Phosphates is currently 0.13ppm. I am planning at least 0.03ppm of PO4. The fish get fed 2 times a day pretty heavily. I plan to make this a very gradual process.

I like Zeovit because they have a proven track record. I don’t need to experiment and wonder if some carbon sources will make my corals brown etc. Everything is time tested which makes me feel good.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank video of today.

I think weekly updates are the goal. Every Sunday sounds like a good idea. :)

I watched the video and at finished with this fish as the hint for the next video.
1671330501633.png

You think that just maybe you could get one like that? To add to the gang? :p Oh and I’m sure that your current YT will just LOVE this new guy :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which zeo reactor are you using? I did zeo in my 90, it was great, you need to get many more of their additives to see the results you are looking for though.
I am not planning on using any reactor. I got a large mesh bag, and I put the zeolites inside.

I purchased a bubble magus reactor a few weeks ago, but it was absolute junk. I don’t believe zeolites are anything more than a place to house bacteria. If there is any merit to the ammonia and nitrate adsorption, I don’t believe a reactor would have any influence on it. :)

It‘s in the chamber between the return pumps and the skimmer. There is a bubble trap that requires the water needs to pass through the zeolites to go through. I think I’ll agitate the media by hand daily because it’s fun, lol.

I plan to take this system as it goes. Phase 1 is all about letting the system settle with zeovit. I need to see where the nutrients decide to stay before I decide to choose a supplement to “test.”

Based on my fish load, I highly doubt I will need any amino acid supplements.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not planning on using any reactor. I got a large mesh bag, and I put the zeolites inside.

I purchased a bubble magus reactor a few weeks ago, but it was absolute junk. I don’t believe zeolites are anything more than a place to house bacteria. If there is any merit to the ammonia and nitrate adsorption, I don’t believe a reactor would have any influence on it. :)

It‘s in the chamber between the return pumps and the skimmer. There is a bubble trap that requires the water needs to pass through the zeolites to go through. I think I’ll agitate the media by hand daily because it’s fun, lol.

I plan to take this system as it goes. Phase 1 is all about letting the system settle with zeovit. I need to see where the nutrients decide to stay before I decide to choose a supplement to “test.”

Someone’s been paying attention to the science. I look forward to seeing this. Good luck on the journey!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried to make it work as well with just a media bag, it didn’t unfortunately. The zeolites(all sizes are necessary) growing bacteria film on them in a concentrated reactor, that is getting the proper flow ,then the shaking of the reactor multiple times a day is critical to the Zeovit system working. I used the bubble magnus reactor as well, it may feel like junk but believe me, it does work quite well. The shaking is what feeds your corals, you want to shake. You are looking at it as a nutrient absorber but that is not its main function.
I toyed with Zeovit for a long time, trial and error of media bag, basic Zeovit additives, 4 part Zeovit additives, reactor, everything they offer pretty much. I found what worked and what was a waste of time.
I also ran a high bioload like yourself.
With what you are doing currently you won’t notice any differences fwiw. It’s an expensive system, I don’t want you to waste your money like I did. I wish I knew what to do from the get go.

JMaccaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to make it work as well with just a media bag, it didn’t unfortunately. The zeolites(all sizes are necessary) growing bacteria film on them in a concentrated reactor, that is getting the proper flow ,then the shaking of the reactor multiple times a day is critical to the Zeovit system working. I used the bubble magnus reactor as well, it may feel like junk but believe me, it does work quite well. The shaking is what feeds your corals, you want to shake. You are looking at it as a nutrient absorber but that is not its main function.
I toyed with Zeovit for a long time, trial and error of media bag, basic Zeovit additives, 4 part Zeovit additives, reactor, everything they offer pretty much. I found what worked and what was a waste of time.
I also ran a high bioload like yourself.
With what you are doing currently you won’t notice any differences fwiw. It’s an expensive system, I don’t want you to waste your money like I did. I wish I knew what to do from the get go.
Just a bit curious but what do you use to run your system these days as I was thinking about going the zeo route as well?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bit curious but what do you use to run your system these days as I was thinking about going the zeo route as well?
I’m getting back into the hobby, I’ve been out of it for a few years. I believe it’s pretty well documented near the end of my build thread, I don’t remember off hand. I do recall the most effective being flatworm exit, pohls xtra special, amino acid concentrate, coral vitalizer, coral snow all to be useful just to name a few. For example, Flatworm exit helps with general vitality not just making corals less desirable to flatworms. I would highly suggest all the things I mentioned above for good coral health if running zeo, and by running zeo I mean in a reactor that shakes, not a passive media bag.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back