Deltec Skimmers Any Good?

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have hotel points that can be redeemed on amazon. Right now it's about $525 but I will spend more to get the best skimmer for my 240 fowlr. Big fish and eel, heavy bioload.

What should I get?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a Deltec on Amazon?

I've heard good things about Reef Octopus and Royal Exclusiv, as well.

If you go Deltec, the 1660 should be just about your sweet-spot skimmer.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have hotel points that can be redeemed on amazon. Right now it's about $525 but I will spend more to get the best skimmer for my 240 fowlr. Big fish and eel, heavy bioload.

What should I get?
The only true aquarium shop I've seen selling on Amazon is Premium Aquatics. So maybe they have something good on their own site and can throw it up on Amazon for you.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well "like that" - I've got the 1455 model in my sump, and like the skimmer quite a bit. MFreddy's tank is a bit bigger than mine, so suggested the larger model.

~Bruce

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a video on YouTube with a deltec in comparison to a vertex and what I got out of it is that deltec was a cheaper made skimmer than vertex at a higher price tag. What are your thoughts on build quality? It seems that they use a jebao pump correct?

vder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Deltec for over a year. I have the 1456 version which has aDC motor. I have gone through 2 motors and waiting on a third one. If you want reliability I would stay away from the DC motor version. Performance with the DC motor begins to fall off and then just fails for no reason. If I could I would return the skimmer and call it a day. Just the facts and my experience.

This isn't a diss on Adam more about Deltec itself. For the money spent it should just work.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC models do use Jebao pumps - the AC models (which is the one I chose) use the Aqua-Bee pump, which is a world of difference. I've only owned one Jebao product (their Gyre knock-off), and it lasted six months. I'll steer clear of Jebao from now on.

I've never owned the Vertex, Reef Octopus, etc, so can't compare. My skimmer pulls some nasty gunk.

~Bruce

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC models do use Jebao pumps - the AC models (which is the one I chose) use the Aqua-Bee pump, which is a world of difference. I've only owned one Jebao product (their Gyre knock-off), and it lasted six months. I'll steer clear of Jebao from now on.

I've never owned the Vertex, Reef Octopus, etc, so can't compare. My skimmer pulls some nasty gunk.

~Bruce

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with jebao. I'm just trying to set the facts straight. I currently have a jebao dc4000 return pump with ZERO isssues. I have a vertex 130 and I'm just trying to make a decision on what my upgrade will be. Ive had way too many issues tuning the vertex so I was considering the deltec D.C. Skimmer

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1455 with the AC pump for a while now and it has been a flawless performer.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I still get Deltecs through you? Or do you have to go through MD's channel now?

I have nothing against Deltec, think their stuff is great, but I wanted to mention something - You said earlier you were considering the new S-220 but it didn't have a drain, that has actually been revised, the second run of skimmers had a drain added. I had an early S-120 and Eshopps sent me the new updated cup for no charge.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SC1660 and love it.
It's been runing for 2 years without any issue and always skimming great!
I don't have neck cleaning and i don't miss it. I like to clean it manually...

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not well "like that" - I've got the 1455 model in my sump, and like the skimmer quite a bit. MFreddy's tank is a bit bigger than mine, so suggested the larger model.

~Bruce

The 1455 or 1660 is the ones I was considering for my 180 with 40 gallon sump.

What size is your tank? Because even though the 1660 does twice the air of the 1455, I want it to actually skim and not idle.

Also, looking on MD's website, the 2 models have 2 different bubble diffusers. Very different. The SC models are supposed to be DC but it's not mentioned anywhere about any of the models using DC pumps.

They list the SC-1455 and SCA-1660

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 22o with a half-full 40-breeder underneath it. Adam was pretty insistent that the 1455 was "the" skimmer for the tank. Sometimes it pulls dense dark skimmate, sometimes green tea - but it pretty much always pulls something, and my tank's still kind of in shakedown mode. At the moment, dealing with phytoplankton / green water.

~Bruce

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 71 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back