Diatoms and yeast dosing?

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi randy I seek your knowledge on a matter thats come up in a post in the forum.

What is the effect of dry yeast in our aquariums and its effectiveness in reducing or eliminating diatoms?

Thanks in advance.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this topic is gaining some steam. Would also like to see some chemistry insight on how and why this could work. Also, there are some reports that yeast has some positive effects on coral as well.

Vivid's accounts of diatom reduction seems anecdotal, but their results seem conclusive in that it does have a reduction/ eradication of them.

Aside of a controlled laboratory study on this phenomenon, what could be at work here?

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with yeast is Cyano. It feeds it big time! That's why I stay away from products that have yeast in them. The reason corals do a little better with it is because of the bacteria that grows from the yeast.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with yeast is Cyano. It feeds it big time! That's why I stay away from products that have yeast in them. The reason corals do a little better with it is because of the bacteria that grows from the yeast.
This thread is what i like to see!

I watched vivids first video. I tried adding yeast to my massive diatom bloom. 2 weeks later the result was cyanobacteria with exponential growth and the diatoms remained. Granted i had a slight phosphate issue from a dead firefish that my pistol shrimp was hiding from me. None the less, more insight is needed.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Theres an article somewhere about yeast feeding cyano(and bacteria) i read a while back. I mean, diatoms are an important part of your reef, not sure why youd want to hault its cycle. Hope too see some knowledge surface, theres prob alot of benefits and negatives from yeast in a reef.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of wish some of that could be translated into more simple terms. Some of it i understand.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That paper simply shows that yeast can convert the organics in dead cyanobacteria cultures into ethanol. Not that yeast will do anything to living cyano. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi randy I seek your knowledge on a matter thats come up in a post in the forum.

What is the effect of dry yeast in our aquariums and its effectiveness in reducing or eliminating diatoms?

Thanks in advance.

I suspect that if it lives, it uses up some nutrients, including organics, that cyano consumes. And if it dies, it releases nutrients, including organics, that cyano can thrive on. :)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That paper simply shows that yeast can convert the organics in dead cyanobacteria cultures into ethanol. Not that yeast will do anything to living cyano. :)
Would that suggest that dosing yeast with a cyano bloom could possibly cause ethanol to be in our reef? And would ethanol be bad?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that suggest that dosing yeast with a cyano bloom could possibly cause ethanol to be in our reef? And would ethanol be bad?

Not likely to happen, IMO. If any ethanol is produced, bacteria will consume it as fast as it is made.

Last edited:

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in the other issue that gave rise to this, I find it very interesting that something (in this case yeast) succeed in eliminating the diatom, but like many'm still hesitant to use it because it is not that counterproductive effects may exist for the reef.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think first is to observe yeast in saltwater
I do not think there will be much data available as there are no sugars in saltwater for the bacteria to consume unless directly attacking cell walls of diatoms.

I have something to do now. ;)

I could be wrong but I don't see yeast surviving long in saltwater.

In that paper above it looks like they basically put cyano through the ringer concentrating it up to 800ml and breaking it down with an antibiotic then release the yeast.

My guess is if it has any impact on cyano or diatoms in a reef is that it become a carbon and nitrate source for bacteria dropping phosphates.

Again I could be wrong and would be happy if I am.

Last edited:

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uploading pictures. I definitely need more observation time. But the yeast has some kind of effect on at least one type of diatoms that I sampled tonight. Basically they turned green. What else is happening I'm not sure yet. Also, I noticed some type of ciliate turned green as well. Weird.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back