Diatoms and yeast dosing?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this was posted on facebook. The image used with this thread was Fleishmann's Active Dry. I thought it was the Rapid Rise instant yeast?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the difference between the two glucose and non glucose?
I guess from what i've found, the Active Dry is larger granules and should be dissolved prior to 'baking'. Maybe there isn't a difference?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading there is not much of a difference. They are all of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast.
What caught my attention is that salt will inhibit the growth rapidly of these single cell organisms.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this was posted on facebook. The image used with this thread was Fleishmann's Active Dry. I thought it was the Rapid Rise instant yeast?

On vivid aquariums YouTube page he says it's the rapid rise in the comments.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading there is not much of a difference. They are all of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast.
What caught my attention is that salt will inhibit the growth rapidly of these single cell organisms.
That doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is people saying that it works. So, it boils down to yeast per water volume. Possibly? Or is it just coincidence?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't surprise me. What surprises me is people saying that it works. So, it boils down to yeast per water volume. Possibly? Or is it just coincidence?
I will head to the store today to grab some yeast.
I will get going on this as soon as I can :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the nutritional values of bakers yeast

Screenshot_2016-08-04-07-36-50.png

That is per 100 grams

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I thought someone said prior there was ... so its safe to try when dosing carbon I'd assume
People are making all kinds of claims.

I tried this yeast method for 2 weeks. My diatoms never went away and a cyano bloom grew stronger. If it were like carbon dosing, I would guess my phosphates should have lowered? Where they did not.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are making all kinds of claims.

I tried this yeast method for 2 weeks. My diatoms never went away and a cyano bloom grew stronger. If it were like carbon dosing, I would guess my phosphates should have lowered? Were they did not.

Looking at what twillard posted yeast has a lot of phosphates and other trace elements that cyano would love to absorb. Looks like a good food source for cyano, dinoflagellates, etc.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at what twillard posted yeast has a lot of phosphates and other trace elements that cyano would love to absorb. Looks like a good food source for cyano, dinoflagellates, etc.
Keep in mind that is per 100 grams lol

Some also said there corals loved it which would explain the massive amount of potassium lol

Steve K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I thought someone said prior there was ... so its safe to try when dosing carbon I'd assume

Yeast consumes sugar and produces alcohol and Co2 as a byproduct. That's how freshwater planted tanks use it in DIY C02 setups, vent the C02 into the tank and then discard what is essentially prison hooch when the yeast is done breaking down the sugars.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, in baking it will hinder the yeast. Salt that is. Which is why I was questioning it's effectiveness in saltwater other then becoming a food source. Which it could still very well be a food source. But saltwater may have slowed it down but certainly did not stop it or kill it with in the couple hours I was observing it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
percent's a percent though. Looks like many organisms would like it.
Very true. Maybe one day we could dub this Sea Crack? Sea crack is wack, but cheap! I was down less than $3 trying this, but i'm down $30 purchasing GFO and other things to combat my issues at hand. However, I don't have legit proof yeast was the culprit.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back