Did a bad thing. Please QT your fish. Med help

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, and strongly advise against... I used cupramine in a f/o tank with liverock and maintained a therapeutic level for about 6 months. That system then ran for quite some time with many carbon changes, and GFO and metal binders etc. It's currently a reef with many easy corals shrooms/zoas/ acans/favias/ LPS/birdsnest/ one acro about a year old/ and RBTA. Despite low maintenance theres quite a few that do better than in my main tank, which is the only reason I keep it running anymore.

Again, I wouldn't recommend that. Even if it went okay its always going to be in the back of your head.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it was destined to be, but not yet. Of course with 40 fish, it better be a massive system to have much luck with sps anyhow.

Agreed. I don't like SPS because those colored sticks limit my fish population. :D

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 300g system. I have 4 setups. This is the newest and have another larger setup being built. I normally take better precaution. This time I got too carried away. It may not be 40 fish but I'd say at least 25. But like 15 are small chromis and anthias etc. but also in here is a gem tang, black tang, polyzona tang, interuptus, joculator, bandit, tinker pair, chrysogaster clowns, candy basslet etc. so not only is it a lot of money but I don't want to see anything happen to these beautiful animals. The intentions for the tank was to be an sps reef. It has a frag tank plumbed to it as well. I only have a couple birds nest frags in it which I'm not worried about and a couple nassarius snails which honestly not sure how many are left after the ichx. So if somehow I could treat the DT I'd much prefer to do that... but doesn't sound like that's going to work

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go buy one of those large water bins you see at Lfs with live rock in it. Transfer your entire tank, rock and fish to it. It will make it easier to catch all your fish. Then move the rock back to the display and treat all the fish in large water bin. Of course using humblefishes meathod. You will just stress the fish more trying to catch them with the rock in the tank.
+1 This is a great method to use for stressing them less during the roundup.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if somehow I could treat the DT I'd much prefer to do that... but doesn't sound like that's going to work

Its not a good option, but there is copper: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-treatment.193343/

But you will lose all corals/inverts, need to test your Cu daily, and will go through hell trying to get all the copper out of the rock/sand once treatment is complete. o_O

I personally would catch all your fish and treat them using multiple QTs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if somehow I could treat the DT I'd much prefer to do that... but doesn't sound like that's going to work

Not well at least. It wouldn't be easy at all and if the copper levels drop below therapeutic levels even once, then the 30 day time clock starts over. Then there's trying to get it back out again. Ugh.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'd consider treating the DT with copper is because I feel I've already destroyed my chance of a reef by dosing the ichx to the system. But So if I pull all the fish, do the 3 stage process, I'll have to keep the fish out of the tank fir 76 days or it's pointless?

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will copper in the system destroy the biological bacteria in sand, rock and media? Or will it be ok in those aspects? What are my chances of survival going this "not ideal" route? If I have to I'll make it a fish only tank for some time need be

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I'd consider treating the DT with copper is because I feel I've already destroyed my chance of a reef by dosing the ichx to the system.

The active ingredients found in Ich-X won't remain active in the water for long, so you haven't destroyed your tank's chance of becoming a reef. 24 hrs of running carbon should fix it.

Will copper in the system destroy the biological bacteria in sand, rock and media? Or will it be ok in those aspects?
No, but it will be difficult to a) Maintain a stable Cu level due to the rock/sand absorbing it b) Get all the copper out of the system once treatment is complete.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means trying to be stubborn either guys. I just somehow see more room for possible error or failure in stuffing all these fish in small QT tanks. Between possible heater failures, inadequate filtration, possible ammonia spike, stressful acclimation etc my ignorance just feels like it would be better to somehow keep them confirtable where they are if possible

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, god don't jinx me, in 4 days of having this I haven't lost a fish or even had one seem to lose appetite besides the tinkers so not even sure if it is velvet..

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somthing like this. You can resale it after your done with it.

IMG_7541.PNG

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the tuff stuff tub dude.

You see my time table above. I mean, i kept copper up over that six months but it was daily testing and adding of copper. I also kept it up so long because i wasn't totally sure i was keeping it high enough coupled with the fact i didn't see the die off of pods and several hermits i was expecting. This is a 180g system in refusing to btw. Wasnt easy and although i don't believe in that time frame copper dropped below therapeutic levels, it dropped quite often and i had to do a lot of testing. It very well may have. I know i never had the amount of deaths of pods and hermits etc i thought i would have either. I figured it would kill off mostly everything but it didn't. But your probly looking at a solid year and lots of cash in copper eliminating products to rid the system of copper.

Imho it's much less work, and less torture on yourself to pull the fish and reboot. From someone who has done it both ways, take it for what it's worth. Especially with a $2500 gem tang, wouldn't mess around.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other problem with it is the unknown. They say copper binds to liverock. Well what causes it to unbind? Who knows. Maybe all that copper i dumped in there was absorbed into the liverock. Maybe some event one day will cause it to unload at once and nuke the tank. So obviously, this tank will never see any high end frags like my others, just from that fear of the unknown.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea but I guess I'll do what I have to. Doing it is one thing. But leaving it like this for 2.5 months is another. My wife is great and very tolerant of the hobby. But we have a newborn and having a giant ugly tub out in the open is going to get me some serious grief. If it's what has to be done then I guess so be it but awful scenario to be in right now. It's my own fault tho. And it's all because of these dang damsels I got. Devil fish. I had to pull them for aggression so they were in my QT so I skipped the step. Lesson learned in the hardest way.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if it is just ich tho and not velvet? Is the same long term steps still necessary? I always thought it's only ich. Larger salt like particles on the fish and only a few not an overwhelming anount.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if it is just ich tho and not velvet? Is the same long term steps still necessary? I always thought it's only ich. Larger salt like particles on the fish and only a few not an overwhelming anount.
You do have another option but you will always be living with risk and limitations. You should read this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/

Just be aware that you will always have these parasites living in your system. A broken heater, ATO or dosing error, power outage or aggression issue can quickly weaken your fishes immune system and cause a massive breakout. You will also need to be very thoughtful on what you stock. I also recommend reading this.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...ears-of-experience-and-ich-management.206347/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back