Did i pay too much for apparently a solar flame angelfish $400?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a SUPER nice one for $45 last year. Maybe cuz it’s so small it will color up nicely but sheesh it’s definitely not worth $400
5247DDFA-A86A-4D90-9451-B6D7EB258691.png
1C6DA87E-C645-4D28-BD73-BCD4F49876DF.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Appreciate all the help. The fish store is honorable and will come and catch the fish and refund me. Appreciate all the help.

can they not just refund you the difference since you wanted a flame angel anyways and it appears healthy?

OP
OP
F

fishguy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can they not just refund you the difference since you wanted a flame angel anyways and it appears healthy?
i am satisfied with their policy to return for refund and they take it out themselves. I am happy with that. good LFS shop i think, not many will do this for their customer. thank you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I just wouldn’t want a LFS chasing or trying to catch a fish in my tank stressing everyone out but I have many corals and delicate fish. Make sure those firefish don’t become expensive French fries.

You have lots of rock and hiding places. Hopefully they plan to bring a fish trap.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A true solar flare is supposed to lack all black (though I suppose there may be gradations). Juvenile flames are often a bit short on the black lines, so yours may end up as a regular flame.

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them a break. Probably an honest mistake and they are trying to make it right. Bravo for making the extra effort to come and get the fish out also.
or they are going to catch it and resell it to someone else for $400.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. Appreciate all the help. The fish store is honorable and will come and catch the fish and refund me. Appreciate all the help.

Not sure you can say they are honourable based on this transaction...they either don’t know what they are doing and have put you to a lot of hassle, or they did know and now realised they have been caught out, they are now trying to limit the damage to themselves, yes it’s good they are refunding you but none of this takes them to the level of honourable IMO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if I could find a solar flare I would absolutely pay $400. I have seen them for $2,500. Even better would be a tigerpyge. Haven't seen a nice one for years.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking a bit more about this. I'm not sure you necessarily got ripped off. A completely hypomelanistic flame will have no black, but this one has a lot less than normal. Last time I saw a 'true' solar flare it was selling for $2,500. $400 for a partial may actually be OK, and your LFS may have priced it fairly despite typically excoriating group think here on R2R LOL. I'd actually be inclined to keep it.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking a bit more about this. I'm not sure you necessarily got ripped off. A completely hypomelanistic flame will have no black, but this one has a lot less than normal. Last time I saw a 'true' solar flare it was selling for $2,500. $400 for a partial may actually be OK, and your LFS may have priced it fairly despite typically excoriating group think here on R2R LOL. I'd actually be inclined to keep it.
Agreed. I'd keep it too. Doesn't look like normal pigmentation to me and it's interesting looking. It's also apparently healthy and happy in the tank! I'd definitely keep it and see what it looks like full grown. Will be a surprise and hopefully a pleasant surprise.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummmm. Some seem to be saying that at $400 smackers you still paid a fair price because it’s ‘only a LITTLE pregnant.’ ;)

Peace.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that they are willing to work with you on the return and refund. Many places would not be that accommodating. With that said, we've all overpaid for something at one point...I'm looking at you high end bounce buyers ;) ...and what really matters is whether you're happy with what you bought, regardless of the price.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back