Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neat thread enjoyed reading
if you set a reminder to update this thread in two years for tracking thorough clean outcomes it would really help, limited reserves of follow up data n pics
Will try but who knows what side of the dirt I will be in 2 years :-0

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am going to mix the L-C dose with RO and drip it into the skimmer from our very expensive, limited edition drip unit
1602554717383.jpeg

And I really want to try and clear the water as much as possible before releasing out of the tank. Took an old 1990's powerhead, a cork, and I cut a 5 micron sediment filter in half.
1602554927460.jpeg

1602554967419.jpeg

I dont know how long the filter will work (or if it will work) but it was cheap! I also ordered 4 x 10 micron filter socks for the overflows when I release the water.
Cheers! Mark

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used phosphate-E works great. My phos. We’re at 1.8 leaching from old rocks. There’s a calculator on here that will tell you exactly how much to use. I usually did 50ml diluted with RO. Dosed using my doser into 10 micro sock over maybe 36 hours.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used phosphate-E works great. My phos. We’re at 1.8 leaching from old rocks. There’s a calculator on here that will tell you exactly how much to use. I usually did 50ml diluted with RO. Dosed using my doser into 10 micro sock over maybe 36 hours.
Did the sock catch all the floculate or did your water get cloudy?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am going to mix the L-C dose with RO and drip it into the skimmer from our very expensive, limited edition drip unit
1602554717383.jpeg

And I really want to try and clear the water as much as possible before releasing out of the tank. Took an old 1990's powerhead, a cork, and I cut a 5 micron sediment filter in half.
1602554927460.jpeg

1602554967419.jpeg

I dont know how long the filter will work (or if it will work) but it was cheap! I also ordered 4 x 10 micron filter socks for the overflows when I release the water.
Cheers! Mark

What LaCl product are you using? Where did you get that dripper mechanism?

Where is the calculator?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering more if the vinegar caused a lot of phosphate to be available to leach into the reef for an extended period?

I don't see how that would happen.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LaCl product are you using? Where did you get that dripper mechanism?

Where is the calculator?

IMO, such calculators are not very useful. They make assumptions that are not true, namely, all of the phosphate is in the water column, and all of the lanthanum ends up as lanthanum phosphate.

Take it as a "you need to add this much, and likely a whole lot more" sort of situation.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Life phosphate RX

Yes, sorry I see you mentioned that. I just ordered TLF Phosban L, per directions seems per bang/$. Also ordered 1um filter socks. Are you just going to place the filter socks in your sump? I dont use them normally so I will not be able to fit them around my drain lines.

NitrateKillah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fought with phosphates for a couple years. I have spent hundreds on GFO and hundreds more on PhosGuard. The phosphates just don't go down. They run between .27 and .5 I just ordered some Lanthanum Chloride. It is Blue Life phosphate RX. I am done filling my reactor every 4 days. I am going to go slow, but I am going to get these phosphates below .1
Cheers! Mark
Careful with the Lanthanum! it works great! they say use half the dosage, I would use a quarter of the half. You can then measure how many drops it takes to lower each .00 increment's!

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sorry I see you mentioned that. I just ordered TLF Phosban L, per directions seems per bang/$. Also ordered 1um filter socks. Are you just going to place the filter socks in your sump? I dont use them normally so I will not be able to fit them around my drain lines.
So you will drip into the skimmer and put socks over the returns in your display?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with the Lanthanum! it works great! they say use half the dosage, I would use a quarter of the half. You can then measure how many drops it takes to lower each .00 increment's!
Yea, gonna go slow. I know that I will be doing this more than once so the first couple times I will be keeping track of everything and collecting some data.
Cheers! Mark

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you will drip into the skimmer and put socks over the returns in your display?

No. I am going to fix the filter sock into my sump and run a dedicated pump with hose into it from sump. I am not going to dose the skimmer, I read that doesnt work as well as filter sock.

What do you plan on doing?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am going to fix the filter sock into my sump and run a dedicated pump with hose into it from sump. I am not going to dose the skimmer, I read that doesnt work as well as filter sock.

What do you plan on doing?
Question: wont a 1 micron sock clog really really fast??
My plan has changed a bit. I have 2 overflows running into the sump. I bought a large 10 micron sock (Amazon) that will fit over both of them and I will drip into that. Then the water goes into the skimmer area. The sump has 2 return pumps feeding the first 2 of the 4 tanks in the system. Each of the return lines will also get a 10 micron sock to catch any floculate, on the chance some escapes the sump. After reading some of the issues other have had, I am a bit nervous and trying to make sure I do this right.
Cheers! Mark

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can extend the life of filter socks by layering them. Putting the 10 micron sock inside the 1 micron sock will let the 1 micron operate longer.
How long depends on the system, size of the sock, etc. You can always try it and find out, just be sure to set it up so that when the sock overflows it ends up back in the sump.

Rst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jccaclimber suggestion is a good one. That's how I did it. When I was doing this, I used a 30" long pair of socks(one inside the other) with a 7" standard sock diameter. This lasted approx 3 months while lanthanum dosing every hour 24hours every day, before it would finally clog and need to be changed. I purchased these 30" long socks on Amazon.com fyi. I believe that keeping phosphates very low is helpful.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: wont a 1 micron sock clog really really fast??
My plan has changed a bit. I have 2 overflows running into the sump. I bought a large 10 micron sock (Amazon) that will fit over both of them and I will drip into that. Then the water goes into the skimmer area. The sump has 2 return pumps feeding the first 2 of the 4 tanks in the system. Each of the return lines will also get a 10 micron sock to catch any floculate, on the chance some escapes the sump. After reading some of the issues other have had, I am a bit nervous and trying to make sure I do this right.
Cheers! Mark

Yes it probably will. I bought a 10um sock off amazon now and will use that with the 1um. I do not want any partiuclate getting through, read too much bad things.

I am nervous as well!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I now have ordered the 7"x32" filter socks in 10um and 1um. I am going to put the 1 around the 10 to prolong its life.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back