Did my blue tang die of disease?

fish_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, we recently added a baby blue tang to our DT. At first she was going great, swimming around with everyone and eating no problem. Yesterday she had a white mark on one side we just assumed as from hiding in the rocks. This morning her one side was completely white and she wasn't able to control her swimming. Does anyone know if this was a parasite, bacteria infection, or just stress?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone, we recently added a baby blue tang to our DT. At first she was going great, swimming around with everyone and eating no problem. Yesterday she had a white mark on one side we just assumed as from hiding in the rocks. This morning her one side was completely white and she wasn't able to control her swimming. Does anyone know if this was a parasite, bacteria infection, or just stress?

It is always hard to tell after a fish has perished and I am unable to expand pic due to being an IMGUR pic but based on your description, may be bacterial but Unconfirmed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be an injury and subsequent bacterial infection. It was not self-caused though. Think about it, these little blue tangs live in finger coral, so they are adapted not to be injured from hiding in rocks.

How long did you have this fish?
What other tankmates were in with it?

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think selling these extremely small tangs is fraught with death - and it's impossible to tell the cause. IME - it could be anything. Was this a tank-bred tang? Was it perhaps put into a tank with other non-tank raised fish?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back