Difficulty of building a stand

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocket hole screws, wood glue and accurately cut panels.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg

What size and grade plywood are you using? What tank size limits are there to this if any?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular stand was made with 3/4" Baltic birch. it's very high quality wood but about $100/sheet. this one was 8' long and 24" wide. I'd say there aren't limitations on plywood stands, but at a certain size I do add 2x4 supports in the back. however, I use a planer and jointer as 2xs, 4xs, etc are never square from the store.

What size and grade plywood are you using? What tank size limits are there to this if any?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some quality types of plywood you can use for a stand? I assume if the tank foot print is 48 x 18, that's the size your stand needs to be, correct? Roughly how many pieces of plywood do you think I would need to complete the stand? Do I need any other wood besides plywood?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of his videos are really painful to watch. use 3/4" plywood only and don't worry about skinning.

My entire stand is made of 3/4 plywood, but it's of good quality, and the 2 sides and back panel are doubled up so it's really 1 1/2" thick. Then at the top I have a 1 1/2" plywood beam running from side to side at the front and back that is connected to the side panels. I notched the side panels and dropped these beams in those notches, they arn't going anywhere and provide a ton of support. I've worked at a cabinet shop for most of my life.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This particular stand was made with 3/4" Baltic birch. it's very high quality wood but about $100/sheet. this one was 8' long and 24" wide. I'd say there aren't limitations on plywood stands, but at a certain size I do add 2x4 supports in the back. however, I use a planer and jointer as 2xs, 4xs, etc are never square from the store.

Baltic birch plywood is by far some of the best plywood you can buy and use. It's furniture grade. Stays super flat all the time and i believe it's 9 ply (9 layers) as well.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some quality types of plywood you can use for a stand? I assume if the tank foot print is 48 x 18, that's the size your stand needs to be, correct? Roughly how many pieces of plywood do you think I would need to complete the stand? Do I need any other wood besides plywood?

I would watch some youtube videos..

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch some youtube videos..
I've been looking for videos but I just keep finding the ones that are made with 2x4's. I'll keep looking. Do you have any pictures of your stand for reference?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13!

Baltic birch plywood is by far some of the best plywood you can buy and use. It's furniture grade. Stays super flat all the time and i believe it's 9 ply (9 layers) as well.

Last edited:

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front and back the footprint size of your tank. two end pieces sized accordingly. I make the bottom 1/2" longer and wider, then flush trim with a router. top piece is required for flat bottom tanks, not needed for tanks with plastic trim.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a 48 x 18 tank, front and back would be 48 x height, sides would be 16.5 x height, bottom would be 48.5 x 18.5. you could even make the ends 16.75 x height if the tank has trim. this ensures the trim will sit on the back piece.

All cuts need to be precise and square, especially the height. no other wood is required except for the trim. I usually route openings for the front doors and a couple cutouts in the back for plumbing.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a 48 x 18 tank, front and back would be 48 x height, sides would be 16.5 x height, bottom would be 48.5 x 18.5. you could even make the ends 16.75 x height if the tank has trim. this ensures the trim will sit on the back piece.

All cuts need to be precise and square, especially the height. no other wood is required except for the trim. I usually route openings for the front doors and a couple cutouts in the back for plumbing.
Okay I'm going to try and figure out how sketchup works later and put together the plans for the stand so I know everything is right before I actually start the job. Also I'll look up some videos for routing.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me backtrack just a little. if you're going to add trim around the top of the stand, make the stand slightly longer than the tank. it makes sliding the tank on the stand so much easier. I usually shoot for an extra 1/4" on either end.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me backtrack just a little. if you're going to add trim around the top of the stand, make the stand slightly longer than the tank. it makes sliding the tank on the stand so much easier. I usually shoot for an extra 1/4" on either end.
When I build my next tank stand I will put an extra 4"+ on each side to set stuff down on. Just my personal preference.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the help as well. Other projects around the house have brought in the tools needed for something like this.

I keep thinking of the possibilities now

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I've been working on. not quite done yet.

IMAG0632_zpsyerorunq.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back