Dimetridazole and 2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole as alternatives to Metronidazole

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @Jay Hemdal, @Lasse, @Humblefish. I've noticed you mentioned Dimetridazole on the forums here and there.
I'm trying to set up a fish quarantine here in Italy, where all fish medications need to be bought from other EU states.
Do you have any idea if these two ingredients are any good for treating Brook and Uronema?
  1. Dimetridazole (found in Water life Octozin - to medicate the whole tank, not orally)
  2. 2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole also known as Aminonitrothiazole (found in Aquarium Münster Hexamor against intestinal flagellates)
I'd really appreciate your insight!

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I had a doctor write me a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate, but pharmacies here say there's no way to order it, even as a raw material.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimetridazole (found in Water life Octozin - to medicate the whole tank, not orally)
This is very effective against internal flagellates and hexamite like parasites for freshwater fish at least. Dimetridazole is the effective agent in emtrylvet - a substance that was standard for treating african bloat in cichlids from the rift valley. Octozin says (from the producer) to be active against Brooklynella too. I have not test it for that but used it against african bloat many times.

I have not test Aquarium Munsters Hexamor but I have a rather high respect for their other products

Sincerely Lasse

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @Jay Hemdal, @Lasse, @Humblefish. I've noticed you mentioned Dimetridazole on the forums here and there.
I'm trying to set up a fish quarantine here in Italy, where all fish medications need to be bought from other EU states.
Do you have any idea if these two ingredients are any good for treating Brook and Uronema?
  1. Dimetridazole (found in Water life Octozin - to medicate the whole tank, not orally)
  2. 2-Amino-5-nitrothiazole also known as Aminonitrothiazole (found in Aquarium Münster Hexamor against intestinal flagellates)
I'd really appreciate your insight!

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I had a doctor write me a prescription for Chloroquine phosphate, but pharmacies here say there's no way to order it, even as a raw material.

I've only used Dimetridazole as an oral medication (I don't have the dose handy). We used it to try to control Cryptobia in FW cichlids. It helped, but it kept needing to be redosed.

Jay

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget - I have always use both Dimetridazole and metronidazole direct into the aquarium (freshwater) and it has works even if some people does not think so. These drugs are lipophilic - therefore they are able to penetrate into the fish even if FW fish do not drink as SW fish do. I do not know how corals will react on these drugs. Sw fish drinks - the uptake of these drugs should be more effective in SW fish.

I have a huge experiences of treating african cichlids with these drugs since the late 70;ties. At that time - these drugs was a most if you like to have Tropheus and tanganyika clowns. Later on it was discovered that these fish have to be feeded strongly vegetable food, hence the problem with bloat disappear more or less.

However - these drugs are heavy drugs and could cause sublethal damage in the fish - IMO - should therefore - IMO - not be used as prophylactic drugs. At least metronidazole is also effective against anaerobic bacteria, hence they kills most stomach bacteria.

emtrylvet - that contain Dimetridazole - was used against some protozoans among chicken here in Europe - nowadays it has been withdrawn from the market according treatment of animals for food because suspicions of it being carcinogenic.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Arp_148

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget - I have always use both Dimetridazole and metronidazole direct into the aquarium (freshwater) and it has works even if some people does not think so. These drugs are lipophilic - therefore they are able to penetrate into the fish even if FW fish do not drink as SW fish do. I do not know how corals will react on these drugs. Sw fish drinks - the uptake of these drugs should be more effective in SW fish.

I have a huge experiences of treating african cichlids with these drugs since the late 70;ties. At that time - these drugs was a most if you like to have Tropheus and tanganyika clowns. Later on it was discovered that these fish have to be feeded strongly vegetable food, hence the problem with bloat disappear more or less.

However - these drugs are heavy drugs and could cause sublethal damage in the fish - IMO - should therefore - IMO - not be used as prophylactic drugs. At least metronidazole is also effective against anaerobic bacteria, hence they kills most stomach bacteria.

emtrylvet - that contain Dimetridazole - was used against some protozoans among chicken here in Europe - nowadays it has been withdrawn from the market according treatment of animals for food because suspicions of it being carcinogenic.

Sincerely Lasse

@Lasse - Im now using Octozin on a new arrival with bloat and would like to ask you with your way back experience:

The pills disolve great, but are leaving these small 9mm long threads all over floating around in the water column.

Have you ever seen this? Normal? The guy selling it had (by far) the best price but I noticed the best before date was partly missing on all medicine pots, which made me a bit paranoid.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse - Im now using Octozin on a new arrival with bloat and would like to ask you with your way back experience:

The pills disolve great, but are leaving these small 9mm long threads all over floating around in the water column.

Have you ever seen this? Normal? The guy selling it had (by far) the best price but I noticed the best before date was partly missing on all medicine pots, which made me a bit paranoid.
Never seen small 9 mm long threads when using Octozin. I have used outdated Octozin with good effect as I remember. Contact WaterLife and ask them

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back