Using chloroquine phosphate to treat new fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 7 days of Prazi, do I need to change the aquarium water or can I add the second dose of Prazi to the same water? Thank you.
Prazi breaks down pretty fast in water. I always say change 25% of the water before the second dose, but really, that's just because water changes never hurt (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
Sean W.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first batch of fish I'm going to put through a CP treatment is a Midas Blenny, Fire fish and a Royal Gramma.

once my 45 day fallow period at 86+F is up.... at the end of August... :pleading-face:

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am deep down this "how to quarantine" new fish rabbit hole, and almost at my whit's end with it. From most of the conversations I've seen on how to QT new fish it goes something like this, " There are two ways to QT new fish before going into your display tank, copper or TTM(tank transfer method), oryoucouldalsousechloroquinephosphatebutnooneusesthat. Lets talk about copper and TTM ".

I actually dug into chloroquine phosphate and it looks like for me and my workflow, it may be the best option to treat new fish. I don't have the energy or space to do TTM and I've also failed at the cooper treatment. I also don't like that you have to use the hanna copper checker to test for copper... It seems like it's easy to mess up copper.

So I came across this post by humblefish... I read it and re-read it 10 times. It seems pretty straightforward. In his closing thoughts in the article he says, " CP treats most external protozoa, and is probably the closest thing there is to a “wonder drug” in our hobby. "

Before I pull the trigger on 100grams of the stuff, I wanted to ping the hive mind here to see if there has had any first hand experience with the stuff... I posted on the "AskBRS Facebook Group" and all I got were crickets, which further reinforces my suspicion that this is either a lost art, or simply no one knows about it.

I found a place to buy it and the process seems simple:
-Step 1 get CP and a milligram scale
-step 2 get a tank, an air stone and a heater
-step 3 fill tank with water and Dose 15 mg/L (60 mg/gal)
-treat for 10 days. If a water change is needed during this time, treat the new water with the same dosage as what you pull out of the QT tank
-remove fish from medicated tank and into a different tank for a 2 week observation.

Fish should be treated for Ich, Brook and marine velvet and Uronema in 24 days are ready to go into your main display!

Seems straight forward.

Thanks for any help!
Hello
Does one has to dose everyday or just once?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
Does one has to dose everyday or just once?
Single dose unless you do a water change. Then you have to dose to keep it within therapeutic levels.

Personally I like to do a second dose of 1/2 original dose after about 7 days. This is to offset any breakdown of the medication from the first dose.

Recommendation; get black fresh water mollies. Add then once your treatment cycle is complete.

I like to keep them in a 5 gal bucket. With airstone. Slowly increasing the salinity over a week or two. Then add the ones that survive the transition. They will show any ich ect way better then any other fish. You can add these to your reef after the observation time along with the treated marine fish.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single dose unless you do a water change. Then you have to dose to keep it within therapeutic levels.

Personally I like to do a second dose of 1/2 original dose after about 7 days. This is to offset any breakdown of the medication from the first dose.

Recommendation; get black fresh water mollies. Add then once your treatment cycle is complete.

I like to keep them in a 5 gal bucket. With airstone. Slowly increasing the salinity over a week or two. Then add the ones that survive the transition. They will show any ich ect way better than any other fish. You can add these to your reef after the observation time along with the treated marine fis keep the fish in a bucket, but for how long?

I like to keep them in a 5 gal bucket. With airstone. Slowly increasing the salinity over a week or two. Then add the ones that survive the transition. They will show any ich ect way better then any other fish. You can add these to your reef after the observation time along with the treated marine fish.
I started my CP treatment 6 days ago in my Qt 15mg/L, I was wondering if I had to dose everyday or just once. (I have dosed just once)
If I do a water change I have to mix CP to the similar level of the one in the tank?
I did not understand the bucket theory. Do you mean to say keep the fish in the bucket however for how long? This is very helpful, thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my CP treatment 6 days ago in my Qt 15mg/L, I was wondering if I had to dose everyday or just once. (I have dosed just once)
If I do a water change I have to mix CP to the similar level of the one in the tank?
I did not understand the bucket theory. Do you mean to say keep the fish in the bucket however for how long? This is very helpful, thank you.
Chloroquine is only dosed once, and then proportional doses for any water changes done. Do no use UV. Chloroquine breaks down by bacterial action over time. Since the only way to test for it is with a spectrophotometer, it may be that for an extended treatment, you’ll need to change the water with retreated water .
Jay

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes single dose in the qt.

Yes mix the replacement water to the same level as in the qt. Like saltwater for water change.

For the bucket. If you use the freshwater black mollies as test fish for disease. You have 2 choices. Dump them directly into the qt. ( some will die and then possibly pollute the water.)
Or put them in a bucket for a couple days and slowly increase the salinity to at least 1.020.
Some will die but then your qt isn't getting pollution.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes single dose in the qt.

Yes mix the replacement water to the same level as in the qt. Like saltwater for water change.

For the bucket. If you use the freshwater black mollies as test fish for disease. You have 2 choices. Dump them directly into the qt. ( some will die and then possibly pollute the water.)
Or put them in a bucket for a couple days and slowly increase the salinity to at least 1.020.
Some will die but then your qt isn't getting pollution.
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you. :)

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem and hope it works out as it should for you
Thank you.
I have a Scopas, Sailfin and a regal tang in the qt. My Regal and Sailfin have been eating very well and looks like they’re on the road to recovery however my Scopas is looking a bit dusty on the skin and have stopped eating. Hoping for the best, will try to do all I can. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry lads - are we saying NO Tangs can be treated with CP ?
You can treat tangs with chloroquine. Here is a link to an article I wrote on using it:

Jay

furface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3993.png
    IMG_3993.png
    171 KB · Views: 20

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back