Disease Identification / Treatment

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

Hello all, I want to get your opinion on what this might be...

Picked up this trigger and 2 clarkii clowns, Placed them into my observation tank. They have been eating well and acting normal.
On day 4 or 5 I noticed the Clarkii acting crazy, Literally trying to jump out of the tank racing to the surface, cloudy eyes and what appeared to be a white milky substance. I moved him to my QT running Copper power at 2.40ppm, 12 hrs later he died.
I don't have a photo, giving you this info for context.

I noticed the trigger laying on his side acting weird, I noticed his eye was getting cloudy and had a bit of red on his body, in 12 hrs he has become lethargic and completely red (See Photo) I have him in my QT now with Copper and also Dosed Nitrofurazone.
This appears to me like Uronema or some Bacterial infection? Any thoughts on what this is?

All water parameters are fine, just looking for diagnosis and treatment options, I have most common meds including formalin and Chloroquine Phosfate....

Also, Do I need to worry about the other fish in QT from a free floating type infection or will the copper kill anything in the water Column ? I do have a separate QT I can set up quickly if this requires a different treatment protocol.... I can also do a water change and I read that you can use Formalin and copper together ?

Thanks in advance, Unfortunately I don't have high hopes for this trigger as bad as he is looking.... Not eating as well...

IMG_4819.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
#fishmedic

Picked up this trigger and 2 clarkii clowns, Placed them into my observation tank. They have been eating well and acting normal.
On day 4 or 5 I noticed the Clarkii acting crazy, Literally trying to jump out of the tank racing to the surface, cloudy eyes and what appeared to be a white milky substance. I moved him to my QT running Copper power at 2.40ppm, 12 hrs later he died.

I noticed the trigger laying on his side acting weird, I noticed his eye was getting cloudy and had a bit of red on his body, in 12 hrs he has become lethargic and completely red (See Photo) I have him in my QT now with Copper and also Dosed Nitrofurazone.
This appears to me like Uronema or some Bacterial infection? Any thoughts on what this is?

All water parameters are fine, just looking for diagnosis and treatment options, I have most common meds including formalin and Chloroquine Phosfate....

Also, Do I need to worry about the other fish in QT from a free floating type infection or will the copper kill anything in the water Column ? I do have a separate QT I can set up quickly if this requires a different treatment protocol.... I can also do a water change and I read that you can use Formalin and copper together ?

Thanks in advance, Unfortunately I don't have high hopes for this trigger as bad as he is looking.... Not eating as well...

IMG_4819.jpg
This is a very flushed pic and will need better angle and lighting
In advance looks like bacterial but a mere guess

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#fishmedic

IMG_4819.jpg
Usually, red means 'infection'. The other behavior seen in your picture means it's got a poor prognosis. To answer your question - I would make sure your copper levels are ok (i.e. verify them). - and I would add a broad spectrum antibiotic (like neomycin or kanamycin). It may be that your clowns had brooklynella or something else (no way to know). Have you checked all of your parameters carefully? I.e. copper at those levels will not cure a bacterial infection - you may have 2 problems going on.

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, Just checked on the fish and he didn't make it overnight... All parameters are good and verified with both hanna and my spintouch (for water parameters) .... Guess this will remain a mystery, didn't take a photo before I sent him on to his final resting place.... @vetteguy53081 thanks buddy!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks all, Just checked on the fish and he didn't make it overnight... All parameters are good and verified with both hanna and my spintouch (for water parameters) .... Guess this will remain a mystery, didn't take a photo before I sent him on to his final resting place.... @vetteguy53081 thanks buddy!
Oh no - sorry to hear

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Usually, red means 'infection'. The other behavior seen in your picture means it's got a poor prognosis. To answer your question - I would make sure your copper levels are ok (i.e. verify them). - and I would add a broad spectrum antibiotic (like neomycin or kanamycin). It may be that your clowns had brooklynella or something else (no way to know). Have you checked all of your parameters carefully? I.e. copper at those levels will not cure a bacterial infection - you may have 2 problems going on.
I don't know what @Jay Hemdal or @vetteguy53081 would say - but - I think the jumping out of the water of the clowns is kind of suggestive of a water problem. Certainly trying to get more oxygen is a possibility - but getting out of a toxic environment is also possible - (note that brooklynella can cause gill problems that can cause oxygen issues in the fish.)

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, He was definitely gasping for air... I have never see a fish so crazily trying to jump out... This was a 3 to 4" adult Clarkii..... Just retested everything and all checks out....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gasping for air often signs associated with low oxygen or velvet and even flukes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back