Disolved Oxygen in our Reeftanks - Who else measures it ???

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly...
Quite some write up and interesting links have been posted!

Will work through this thread shortly!

Thx everyone!!!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have reduced Skimmer Air Inlet from 100% down to about 30% estimated, which causes much finer bubbles in the skimmer body!

The results are that my DO level in the day increased to 8.2mg|L and the PH is still increasing its highest point during the day from day to day in combination with the lowest PH in the night gets higher too.

Also the Soda Lime use has been reduced significantly as a nice side effect ;-)

So momentarily I measure 8.2 in the day and 7.3 in the night.

Previously I had 7.7 in the day and 6.5 in the night.

Overall, the Corals appear more healthier and I noticed all SPS show now Polyp Extension during the day which I did not have in this tank setup yet like this. Still not how it was in my previous tank, but this new way running with improved oxygen in the tank, is only done now for a few days.

So far I like what I see.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only see a slight decrease to 8.2 at around 6 to 7 hours after lights out and get 8.4 pH at peak...

Alk= 8.2 dKH
Cal = 400
Mag = 1400

We micro- nano bubble when skimmer is off... we have a half hour overlap on both cycles.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question.

If surface agitation is the primary transferance area during emergency procedures with power loss and a battery backup air stone,
is a weighted open airline with heavy splashing better then a lime wood air bubbler with a column of tiny fine bubbles?

Is the difference small enough to not really matter?

Thanks!

I think you'd have to measure the effects of each one exactly how you implemented them to know for sure. Too much vagueness in the descriptions. lol

Which goes faster down a highway, a car or a truck? Similar vagueness. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few days I see now 8.3 in the day and 7.5 in the night.

Anyone any numbers to share???

That's pH or O2?

If pH, it's a big drop. if O2, it's pretty high.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pH or O2?

If pH, it's a big drop. if O2, it's pretty high.
Randy, sorry for not being precise. I see on Cruz response it misleads to PH.

I achieve nowadays with smaller bubbles in the skimmer a DO measurement of 8.3 mg/L

PH is affected too and does not drop below 7.95 in the night resulting in daily PH of 8.2, which keeps increasing still from day to day.
Today morning it was at 7.98 lowest point. But due to less air intake the air to soda lime contact time is much higher now in the scrubber.
Don’t have my Co2 meter anymore so I cannot measure the Co2 content in the skimmer airline :-(

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB183-DAE-877-B-44-A5-9-AE4-C835-A25-EE40-A.jpg

Looks much healthier now with the increased oxygen levels for a 9 months old tank ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a high DO level for a marine system, but I have no idea what levels are optimal. :)
Agree Randy.
That’s why I’m looking for some numbers to be shared.

I do have previous numbers of 7.7mg/L which I had minor issues with corals on my tank with all other chemistry parameter in good range as per ICPs.
Another tank with huge issues of all sorts and extremely haze looking water had 7.6-7.7

Hence I like others to join and share some values where possible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree Randy.
That’s why I’m looking for some numbers to be shared.

I do have previous numbers of 7.7mg/L which I had minor issues with corals on my tank with all other chemistry parameter in good range as per ICPs.
Another tank with huge issues of all sorts and extremely haze looking water had 7.6-7.7

Hence I like others to join and share some values where possible.

Sounds good. :)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Little update on the DO subject. I'm at 8.7mg/L now ;-)
Due to the fact of that my SKIMZ Monzter skimmer seem to be at the end of it's performance and causing too much microbubbles into the sump at this growth stage of the Tank (300G, see built thread), I decided to go back to the Lifereef Skimmer design.

So during testing of the 36" Skimmer with the normal Air diffusion design on a MAG18 pump, the Skimmer brings the DO levels with ease up to 8.7mg/L during the peak time of the day, with the Air inlet valve fully open.
I do have an Airflow meter coming in to experiment a little bit later with the Air flow and it's effect on PH and DO levels by changing bubbling sizing via restricted air flow.

However, the Skimmer is going to be modified with the MAZZEI Venturi and a VarioS8 pump, as well an 12" Skimmer extension. Looking forward what this will bring the DO levels up to...........

So the message to all Lifereef Skimmer users....... you likely have good DO levels ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6L/min air Flow inlet leading to 8.7mg/L Disolved Oxygen on the new skimmer.

Top bad I removed the old skimmer already..... would loved to see what the airflow was in that skimmer.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

6L/min air Flow inlet leading to 8.7mg/L Disolved Oxygen on the new skimmer.

Top bad I removed the old skimmer already..... would loved to see what the airflow was in that skimmer.
Not considering the pressure losses from the flow meter. So this measure is unlikely very accurate but good for reference to compare after the skimmer mod.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought . You went from a poorly running skimmer to a better on. One would think that you are removing more dissolved organic's using a smaller bubble in the skimmer. This would cause the increase in DO. What is the DO in a batch of fresh salt for a reference. Also are you running a redox probe , I would like to see the difference in the number compared to the DO numbers . Polyp extension and looking better might be due to the tank running cleaner .

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought . You went from a poorly running skimmer to a better on. One would think that you are removing more dissolved organic's using a smaller bubble in the skimmer. This would cause the increase in DO. What is the DO in a batch of fresh salt for a reference. Also are you running a redox probe , I would like to see the difference in the number compared to the DO numbers . Polyp extension and looking better might be due to the tank running cleaner .
Very good thoughts and ideas ;-)

What if I run the skimmer with open skimmer valve and return the skimmate back into the tank, would I still see the increased DO in that case????
I run a ORP probe, but unfortunately it's not good anymore and out of range. Did not see significant changes when running higher DO. This not very trustful probe showed about 50-80 higher readings with compared to the old skimmer.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contribute the higher DO to the better oxygenation in the water column with longer reaction time and not to the fact the tank is cleaner honestly. My skimmate became less with this skimmer actually but color and smell is very different.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the orp is increasing even if prob is off , I would think that the water is cleaner with the new skimmer increasing orp.
I might need to get a meter and see. I know if I run the bubbles in my skimmer smaller orp increases / if I run large bubbles orp decreases.
I run all gf-signet probes that are calibrated way different than hobby grade probes.
Very good thoughts and ideas ;-)

What if I run the skimmer with open skimmer valve and return the skimmate back into the tank, would I still see the increased DO in that case????
I run a ORP probe, but unfortunately it's not good anymore and out of range. Did not see significant changes when running higher DO. This not very trustful probe showed about 50-80 higher readings with compared to the old skimmer.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the orp is increasing even if prob is off , I would think that the water is cleaner with the new skimmer increasing orp.
I might need to get a meter and see. I know if I run the bubbles in my skimmer smaller orp increases / if I run large bubbles orp decreases.
I run all gf-signet probes that are calibrated way different than hobby grade probes.
ORP is really complex as we know.
But more oxygen leads automatically to higher oxidation levels hence higher ORP. Unfortunately there are many other factors that contribute to REDOX hence ORP alone is not giving enough clarity about the Oxygen in the water.

Would be great if you invest in a meter and share some numbers ;-)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back