DIY 40g breeder sump design ideas - requesting expert opinions!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing a custom stand, I don't believe a 40 breeder will fit in a standard 75g stand.

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years back I acquired a tank with a glass holes overflow. I always found it louder than advertised. I tried everything, changing flow, using their sound muffling product, was never happy as it was in my living room. I moved and while the tank was dry got the courage to drill a second whole and buy an overflow box and go herbie overflow. I then decided not to test my luck and didn't drill, just kept the return ad is with up and over. Best decision ever made in my years of aquarium. That tank went instantly silent after with everything else remaining the same. These days I've drilled numerous and would drill another for return. If your not comfortable drilling for a return I can assure you that eventually I got over the pipe outside the back of the tank and loved the fact I had a completely silent tank w a backup.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing a custom stand, I don't believe a 40 breeder will fit in a standard 75g stand.

Yes, I'm doing a custom stand. The stand that came with my tank was completely open in the back so the sump stuck out a bit. I don't want it open in the back in order to protect my walls and hardwood floors from any overspray, etc... I'm still drawing up the stand plans!

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years back I acquired a tank with a glass holes overflow. I always found it louder than advertised. I tried everything, changing flow, using their sound muffling product, was never happy as it was in my living room. I moved and while the tank was dry got the courage to drill a second whole and buy an overflow box and go herbie overflow. I then decided not to test my luck and didn't drill, just kept the return ad is with up and over. Best decision ever made in my years of aquarium. That tank went instantly silent after with everything else remaining the same. These days I've drilled numerous and would drill another for return. If your not comfortable drilling for a return I can assure you that eventually I got over the pipe outside the back of the tank and loved the fact I had a completely silent tank w a backup.

Thanks for the advice! I think you've convinced me to go ahead and either drill a third hole in the overflow (if it will fit) or just go with an over the rim return. I think the Herbie is defnitely the way to go with this setup in order to keep it quiet...and a good time to do it since the tank is empty and dry. My current holes are drilled to accept a 1" bulkhead (so I think the holes are 1.75" diameter. Do you recall if the Herbie design uses 1.25" overflow pipes or OK to go with 1" overflow pipes in the overflow box? If I run a 1" return, I'm not sure I'll have room for another 1.75" diameter who in the overflow!

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are really no size restrictions. I think the general recommendation is not to have your full siphon tube less than 3/4. Allot of overflows you'll find people actually use the smaller return pipe as their full siphon and the larger as the backup. (Full siphon can handle more flow than an open tube that had air in it as well). Get a good gate valve-it's worth it! & plumb your return elsewhere. Have you drilled before? Have you made sure not tempered glass?

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are really no size restrictions. I think the general recommendation is not to have your full siphon tube less than 3/4. Allot of overflows you'll find people actually use the smaller return pipe as their full siphon and the larger as the backup. (Full siphon can handle more flow than an open tube that had air in it as well). Get a good gate valve-it's worth it! & plumb your return elsewhere. Have you drilled before? Have you made sure not tempered glass?

No...never drilled before! But I'm planning on drilling 3 holes to fit my filter socks in my sump! That may change my mind about drilling ever again, lol. Also, not sure if the bottom of the tank is tempered or not...but, would definitely find that out before attempting to drill.

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's that tight I wouldn't put another hole in it. You can't put holes too close or you'll create stress cracks/ cause risk for failure. The rule I always use is edge of hole should be at least that same length from any edge/other hole. so if you have 1.25" holes you'd want to keep at least 1.25" of glass in between holes and the edge of aquarium. I'd recommend some type of dril guide. Free handing the drill your first time will just want to walk around on you. Look at brs website they sell drill guides to keep drill steady and straight anc have some good videos on their YouTube.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's that tight I wouldn't put another hole in it. You can't put holes too close or you'll create stress cracks/ cause risk for failure. The rule I always use is edge of hole should be at least that same length from any edge/other hole. so if you have 1.25" holes you'd want to keep at least 1.25" of glass in between holes and the edge of aquarium. I'd recommend some type of dril guide. Free handing the drill your first time will just want to walk around on you. Look at brs website they sell drill guides to keep drill steady and straight anc have some good videos on their YouTube.

Well by those guidelines, I don't think I will have room for another hole in the overflow area!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to the flow thru design I did on my last sump. It's dead quiet. Run a downpipe under the bulkhead with the drain line below the water level. Tune your drain to your return pump output and it will be dead quiet. Skimmer is in 1st section on the platform, I put a rack between the baffles going into the return section for bags of chemipure elite and purigen.

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

Very nice sump [emoji2]

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return on other side of tank. It's a better setup anyways in my opinion

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh!

Wanting to watch this thread, as I'm about to commence work on a 40-breeder sump, using one of TaylorPilot's kits. I'm going to be hanging my CPR HOB 'fuge on it, so need to allow for that. The kit provides for a trio of 4" filter socks rather neatly, but doesn't include provision for a refugium section - I'm thinking of at least using a MarinePure block or a pond-basket of rubble in there somewhere, as well as an eggcrate rack for carbon or other media between the last two baffles.

~Bruce

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, there unfortunately isn't enough room for a fuge in that tank. I have a ATS from @Floyd R Turbo . It is an excellent solution for cramp sumps. You could also try a DIY cheato reactor.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back