DIY algae scrubber ideas

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering removing my fuge and doing an algae scrubber. Any tips/trick/advice for a DIY? Would like to do a waterfall style out of 1/2” PVC. Pictures of some would be great as well. Would like to keep it as simple as possible… I’ve attached a pic from BRS website. Does something like this do the trick?
IMG_2914.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is similar to what the inside of the IceCap algae scrubber looks like. You may want to add a PVC union (not necessary) on each side in case you want to take it apart to clean it. Have you decided which lights or how they will mount?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering removing my fuge and doing an algae scrubber. Any tips/trick/advice for a DIY? Would like to do a waterfall style out of 1/2” PVC. Pictures of some would be great as well. Would like to keep it as simple as possible… I’ve attached a pic from BRS website. Does something like this do the trick?
IMG_2914.jpeg
I made several types. Please don’t use mains power lights on spring clips though, stuff goes wrong.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is similar to what the inside of the IceCap algae scrubber looks like. You may want to add a PVC union (not necessary) on each side in case you want to take it apart to clean it. Have you decided which lights or how they will mount?
Yea my plan had unions for easy removal…

I have an AI Prime Fuge currently. Was going to just flip it on its side and have it 4-5” away from the screen. Could this work, or am I chasing unicorns?

Obviously a raw sketch, but…

IMG_2995.jpeg

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made several types. Please don’t use mains power lights on spring clips though, stuff goes wrong.

Thanks! Looked at that thread. Curious what you did to get banned lol

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Looked at that thread. Curious what you did to get banned lol
LOL. Folks were continuously getting non hair algae on the first generations of the upflow bubbly scrubbers. Ie they were growing what appeared to be Dino’s, chrysophytes and such. I suggested that one poster should throw his in the bin, then I got whacked with the ban stick.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Folks were continuously getting non hair algae on the first generations of the upflow bubbly scrubbers. Ie they were growing what appeared to be Dino’s, chrysophytes and such. I suggested that one poster should throw his in the bin, then I got whacked with the ban stick.
Ah yes, the good ol honesty card gets someone banned again. Gotta love the internet.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tiny overspray will likely be an issue for your lights. You can try it, but you will likely find that that part of the plan will need to be re-designed.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny overspray will likely be an issue for your lights. You can try it, but you will likely find that that part of the plan will need to be re-designed.
I’d be open to some sort of acrylic sheet in between the light and the screen as well. Could come up with something I’d imagine…

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back