DIY Biopellet Reactor With easily removable lid

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past Christmas break I was trying to come up with a way to build a Cheap inexpensive and reliable bio pellet reactor for my 29gallon nano.

This whole reactor cost me about 10 dollars. Below is a list of the materials that i used:

1- 1/2" CPVC Street 90 elbow
1- 1/2" CPVC coupling
1- 5' Length of 1/2" CPVC pipe
silicone sealant
PVC primer and glue
1 Liter bottle of VOSS water from grocery store
1 3"PVC coupling

1 Liter bottle of Voss Water found at Giant Eagle grocery store.
voss_water.jpg

This bottle was perfect. it is the same diameter all the way down, the bottom of the bottle has a small dimple used as a diffuser to push the water flowing in to the outside edges of the bottle.

I also chose this bottle because i could keep it upright and be able to remove the lid to add more pellets at any time.

I also bout a 1/2" cpvc 90 for the lid of the bottle, a 1/2" coupling for the inside of the lid, and a 5' length of CPVC piping all for around 3 dollars.

Step one:

first i took the bottle and emptied the contents and peeled all stickers off and removed the glue from the stickers which surprisingly there isn't much.

next step i used the 5' piece of CPVC to push the bottom of the bottle out to make it a cone shape so the pellets flow to the center of the bottle. I achieved this by heating up the bottom of the bottle and sticking the piece of pipe into the bottle and pushing on the bottom of the bottle and this worked quite well. i don't have any pictures of this process.

Step two.

Carefully i drilled out a 1/2" hole in the top of the lid and that is where the 1/2" street 90 and 1/2" coupling go.
lid.jpg

next a hole needs to be drilled in the side of the bottle about a half of an inch from the top of the bottle. I used 1/2 pipe for the outlet but i am going to make it 3/4" fittings to allow more flow through the bottle so more pellets can be added. the 1/2 is a little restricting but i will show a video with 200ml of pellets with the 1/2" outlet.

Next glue the 90 degree elbow in the outlet opening and seal it with the silicone sealant. and attach your piece of 1/2 pipe to drop down toward the inlet of your skimmer. see the picture of watch the video at the end of this post.

Next cut your pipe that will connect to the elbow in the lid. i cut mine to be about 7 inches. but the shorter it is, the more aggressive the flow will be so start long and trim it until you get the flow you like.

after this all you need to do is insert the bottle into the 3" PVC coupling. This will give the bottle a flat bottom and hold the bottle upright. See picture below.
image.jpg

I used a penguin 300gph pump for my reactor. here is a picture of it in my sump with the outlet right at the inlet of my skimmer.
photo.jpg

[video]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101247695480284&set=vb.23327086&type =3&theater[/video]

any questions just ask. I am going to upload a high quality video later tonight one i clean the sump glass.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That is ingenious!

I have on of those bottles laying around in the kitchen cabinets. Hmmmm....

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I used 1/2 pipe for the outlet but i am going to make it 3/4" fittings to allow more flow through the bottle so more pellets can be added."

I don't understand. How will you make 1/2 use 3/4 fittings.

OP
OP
B

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say I used 1/2" fittings for the outlet but i am going to change the fittings and the outlet hole size to 3/4"

Reeftopia24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to find some of these bottles and give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just made a BP reactor out of an old syphon vacuum, paid about $5 for the 2 parts I didn't have. Ill have to throw some pics up as well, it works amazingly well. Good job on yours!

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow pretty frekin sweet I just paid like 50$ for CPR nano biopellet Reactor and pellets keep getting clogged and escaping from the mesh cover!
Really nice job very good idea !!

Would love too see it in action

OP
OP
B

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow pretty frekin sweet I just paid like 50$ for CPR nano biopellet Reactor and pellets keep getting clogged and escaping from the mesh cover!
Really nice job very good idea !!

Would love too see it in action

you know.. I was going to buy the CPR reactor but i didnt like that the water just spilled out of the top. When using biopellets they recommend having the outlet of the reactor right at the inlet to the skimmer and you cant do that with the cpr. So i built this thing. It works wonders. I am currently only running 250ml on my tank and my nitrates and phosphates are 0 with a pretty decent bioload

OP
OP
B

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! Great idea!! How would this work with carbon?
How did you get the hole for the outlet?

depends, if you use a little bit of a bigger grain carbon it should be fine, but if you use the fine stuff all you need to do is cut a piece of filter pad and slide it onto the pipe inside the bottle and it works great.

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great I might try that this weekend iv been thanking about adding biopellet reactor to my tank. I love the the DIY stuff. Makes this hobby more fun.

Sent from my EVO using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
B

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great I might try that this weekend iv been thanking about adding biopellet reactor to my tank. I love the the DIY stuff. Makes this hobby more fun.

Sent from my EVO using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Its pretty cheap. I think it cost me maybe 10 bucks after everything and it keeps the pellets suspended so well and you dont get clogging.

OP
OP
B

bobf216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video shows the reactor with 250ml of media in it. im guessing that it could fit 750ml or 800 ml of pellets easily. you can notice that the pellets are getting used by the nitrate eating bacteria. The pellets are very pitted and have shrunk a noticeable amount since i put them in. I slowly added pellets the first two weeks up to about 75ml then put the rest in. I didnt have high nitrates to start so i never had a bacteria bloom.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back