OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still digging into the false alert. I thought it might had been overloading the pi so I killed some options which bought the load way down but still got the false report. Last night (from around 8:00pm until 8:00am) I ran a new script which is almost like my alert one but it just prints out the temps. I checked that and not one false report but I still got one from my alert script. I am going to let my test script run all day today and see if I get anymore false reports but I am thinking my alert script needs to be cleaned up

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas I got a gift card. I ordered some stuff in hope to be able to get my RW4s to work with my pi controller. I will keep everyone up-to-date on that as well as other changes to the project.

IMG_20180102_171842.jpg

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lately I been working on a new program for my raspberry pi controller. My plan was to have what my touch screen display be the same format/program that I can access from my computer and/or phone. After seeing performance issues I figured I would start working on a more light weight code. My pi was running CPU around 95+% all the time which was causing the system to run slow and lockup at time. The main issue being that it was running chromium which is a hog for resources.
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.30.03 PM.png

I been slowly working on a python program to replace just what is displayed on the pi screen. I will still be able to access the web park from my phone and/or computer. After running into some issues I have a base code loaded on the pi and its doing much better. Still more work that needs to be done just to get to where I was but its a start.

IMG_20180205_192911.jpg

Also python is much easier on the pi as well so the system is running better over all
Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 4.56.06 PM.png

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. the screen connected right to the pi will show this UI. my remote UI hasn't changed much right now. I have not worked too much on this either cause work been kicking my butt lol.

Greef_in_the_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had time to read though your project. It’s a great idea, but it seems you didn’t really plan out your project and it’s showing. Have you thought about going back to the drawing board and mapping all your functions etc. I don’t mean to be negative but I’ve written a LOT of code and have been where you are.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greef_in_the_Reef that is true I didn't do a lot of planning as ideas came to me as I learned more and more. I had an idea and plan in the begginning but as the projected built I didn't stay on plan cause I learned better and newer things.

Been awhile since I posted so I figure I would give an update

I ran into some power issue with my pi - the cat crewed on the cable to my pi. This caused me to start all over cause I didn't know it was a power issue until I already wiped the card. I added a new correct power supply but my pi still doesn't boot up correctly plus the wifi keeps dropping. I worked on it for awhile with little to no headway. Finally my pi just stopped booting so I decided to order a newer pi. I have a Pi b+ 3 coming plus a replacement screen (cause my current one is all cracked) and a new memory card. Hopefully this will allow me to get the project going again.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greef_in_the_Reef that is true I didn't do a lot of planning as ideas came to me as I learned more and more. I had an idea and plan in the begginning but as the projected built I didn't stay on plan cause I learned better and newer things.

Been awhile since I posted so I figure I would give an update

I ran into some power issue with my pi - the cat crewed on the cable to my pi. This caused me to start all over cause I didn't know it was a power issue until I already wiped the card. I added a new correct power supply but my pi still doesn't boot up correctly plus the wifi keeps dropping. I worked on it for awhile with little to no headway. Finally my pi just stopped booting so I decided to order a newer pi. I have a Pi b+ 3 coming plus a replacement screen (cause my current one is all cracked) and a new memory card. Hopefully this will allow me to get the project going again.
Bummer.
It’s alright to make mistakes , learn as you go. Particularly in software things change fast, since it’s a derivative of our imagination and has very few physical limitations. I have learned mostly by failing spectacularl ways :)
New pi 3 should b nice :)
Take backup of things you want to reuse (software , data etc)

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer.
It’s alright to make mistakes , learn as you go. Particularly in software things change fast, since it’s a derivative of our imagination and has very few physical limitations. I have learned mostly by failing spectacularl ways :)
New pi 3 should b nice :)
Take backup of things you want to reuse (software , data etc)

I def know to keep backup of code. I reuse/recode flies as I learn so I always have at least a handful of files I use as a base to build on.

Yes I’m looking forward to the Pi 3. Already starting to set a plan for phase 1 of this build.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Tuesday my new screen, pi, and card came in. I was looking everything over and think I found what my issue was with the other pi. It seems like what I was seeing about power issue was a false report and it meant the OS wasn't the correct one for the pi. I still swapped out the equipment and going to try and plan this one out in small steps.

Phase 1
  • Install new equipment
  • Let system run for 7 days to make sure wifi doesn't drop out.
  • Install button to server as a hard reboot button as long as the wifi says up
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 8.08.37 PM.png
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha yes I believe I do. In fact if you are who I think you are, you are the one who gave me the idea to start this whole pi project lol
Yes That would be Me..

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Not much has changed for Bonnie and i.. We are OLD Creatures of Habit

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes That would be Me..

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Not much has changed for Bonnie and i.. We are OLD Creatures of Habit
That is good. Family is well. Broke all my tanks down and now focusing on getting a house so I can get my dream tank going.

OP
OP
njtiger aquariums

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been working on phase 1 now that the wireless has been stabled.

So I have the main panel up and the admin panel up. I also have the start of a database which logs events. Lastly I have a button that when held down it will cause the system to reboot.

I am making sure I document and plan things out so this might be a slow project but hope to have thing running smoothly. Not set on the color style yet

IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.29.27 PM.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see you back active again :).
I tend to drop a systemd timer unit, in each of my build that restarts wifi at night, every day. My theory is even if wifi is down or the network screws up, at midnight the wifi service will be restart, and everything should be back on. Since I started deploying these timers, I have not see long-standing wifi drop out issues.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back