DIY Corner Bowfront stand

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero, ze-ro, luck in finding plans for a corner stand. Doesn't even have to be rounded to mimic the bowfront - big triangle is fine.

Question I have since I'm not an engineer - If I made the stand bigger to accommodate a larger sump and more room below, the bottom rim/brace of the tank will not be directly over the load bearing sections. In doing this, I'd likely have to put a top layer on the stand with cut-out for the bulkheads for drain and return. Would a few joists support 1000lbs? IE rather than the stand not taking the weight I'd be more concerned about the tank falling through the stand if there isn't enough support.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the lumber you use for the top is substantial, I don't think you'll have any issue. 1/2" ply should do the trick, or 3/4" if you wanna be safe.

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the lumber you use for the top is substantial, I don't think you'll have any issue. 1/2" ply should do the trick, or 3/4" if you wanna be safe.
Thanks! Should I try to run the joist so they are under as much of the rim or close to as possible or likely doesn’t matter with 1/2 or 3/4 inch top?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Should I try to run the joist so they are under as much of the rim or close to as possible or likely doesn’t matter with 1/2 or 3/4 inch top?
I'd still have the vertical supports as close as possible to the tank to maximize support, but then again I'm a belt and suspenders type when it comes to support. Take your time with the design, that's the beauty of DIY, make sure you can fit your sump with plenty of room to work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back