DIY Frag Rack

reefknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one I made. I really like the raised edges so frags don't fall off due to crazy snails.

SNC00538.jpg

How do you suspend your frag shelf?

@dkerns - No, I hadn't heard about their magnets oxidizing. I will be sure and keep an eye on it though as its in another tank now. Thanks!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah even if the metal is stainless it will still rust eventually. The walmart near me has some suction cups with plastic hooks in the hardware section where all the bathroom stuff is. You might want to switch them out for something like that.

Won't the metal rust in the tank? I would be careful with that, maybe coat the metal with putty. Other than that, it is a cool idea!

Hard to tell from the pic, but for posterity it looks like swapping the metal for plastic zip ties should work.

Be careful with the eshopps frag racks. I read a thread where the guys whole tank crashed. He found out the coating on the magnets was faulty and they oxidized in his tank.

I'll vouch for this...just noticed my inside magnets were filled with blue liquid on my last big cleaning. :sad:

After this incident Eshopps is officially my least favorite reefing company. I may call them (if possible) to give them a chance at redemption, but I am busy and they really don't deserve it IMNSHO. Why do we need a company who seems to - in my personal experience - specialize in importing junk there are many other vendors who don't?

FYI, for a much higher quality repair (or DIY holder) Tunze sells the magnets seperately that they use for their nanostream mounts. High-powered and well-sealed!! If you search their site they also have large magnets, as well as stronger ones of the same size - all reasonably priced for what you get.

-Matt

OP
OP
S

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is some good sound advice! I use tie-wraps now and thanks for all the post!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back