DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mixed mine and added 2ml to my 200 litre aquarium so it will be interesting to see how clear it becomes tomorrow. Did not seem to make the aquarium as cloudy as I remember Coral Snow used to. I mixed 2 table spoons to 100ml of RO water. How do people store theirs, in the fridge or just in your aquarium cupboard?

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can confirm, as the original poster of the thread states, this does work. My water is crystal clear although I still have a tiny bit of yellow which I think is the algae die off I am experiencing at the moment (please see my other thread). I will add some more mid week but I very pleased I came across this thread, it is going to save me a fortune, thank you [emoji3]

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second dose since using this and my water is crystal clear. This definitely works so thanks to the original poster for this tip [emoji3]

Pjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread I am getting ready to upgrade my tank to a 280 Gallon and will be reusing most of the water from the 280 i will try this to clarify the water and remove particulates during the upgrade. there will be a storage time during cleaning and setup of the 280 so i have time to play with the water while storing the live rock

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this this weekend and was amazed how clear the water got. Even the little film that was on the surface disappeared. Thank you so much for sharing this with the rest of us ;Stig

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a skimmer required? I run filter floss and a sponge but no skimmer on my temporary setup. Fighting cyano, and had good luck with this in the past however had a skimmer on that system

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think filter floss or sponges will work effectively alone. I just wouldn't leave them in after it clears up

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to order some of this as well...Anyone using just a simple HOB filter? I have a mini AquaClear 20 that I use for running activated carbon. I can add some filter sponge...

BTW-Didn't appreciate seeing the OP given so much trouble over this. Just take the free handout and move along. Its not like hes trying to turn you on to his own product line....

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello DIY'ers, I'm testing this for myself now. Total water volume is 135 gallons. I dosed 1/2 tablespoon into a cup of water, mixed up the slurry and poured it all into my sump at once.

For filtration I'm using a large skimmer and a set of seven 10 micron filter socks. It's been less than an hour and the cloudiness is subsiding quite a bit but its still too soon to tell. One thing I do notice is that the particles that were in the water column in the first place show signs of the calcium carbonate adhering to them. They are now all white looking and easier to see. Hoping for good results as others have reported and will my own report results tomorrow.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've done two doses so far but haven't been home with the lights on to see the water clarity. Work has gotten busy. Nothing bad has happened so far and my skimmer has pulled thicker gunk the last two days

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back