DIY Pico Sump ?

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have an 8 gal tank. I am planning on building 2.5 - 3 gal sump under the stand. What equipment should I buy and how do I make the dividers so I can ( At least ) fit a refugium in there?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat idea. Have you picked a return pump yet? If you choose well, you may not need a powerhead in the DT. I would not go for anything larger than 200 GPH. I have a 100 in my 5.5 and it is perfect (sumpless).

Otherwise, you will need a fuge light, and plumbing. Given the small tank size, you would not need a skimmer or reactors if you do regular water changes. Thus, you could probably only get away with two chambers in the sump.

For the tank itself, I would look at small rectangular beta tanks, then buy a piece of glass from your local glass shop to fit at the baffle.

Lastly, you will want to look into an ATO, especially if you are using a sump. You can go cheap, using float switches, a relay and a $20 aqualifter dosing pump, or buy an ATO system; either will work for you.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat idea. Have you picked a return pump yet? If you choose well, you may not need a powerhead in the DT. I would not go for anything larger than 200 GPH. I have a 100 in my 5.5 and it is perfect (sumpless).

Otherwise, you will need a fuge light, and plumbing. Given the small tank size, you would not need a skimmer or reactors if you do regular water changes. Thus, you could probably only get away with two chambers in the sump.

For the tank itself, I would look at small rectangular beta tanks, then buy a piece of glass from your local glass shop to fit at the baffle.

Lastly, you will want to look into an ATO, especially if you are using a sump. You can go cheap, using float switches, a relay and a $20 aqualifter dosing pump, or buy an ATO system; either will work for you.
I haven't picked my return pump because I don't really know the ideal turnover rate. Also, for the fuge light do you recommend LED or PC's ?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I was thinking about making a DIY external overflow with PVC Pipe. I don't have any option because my tank is already setup and running. Is this good enough?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't picked my return pump because I don't really know the ideal turnover rate. Also, for the fuge light do you recommend LED or PC's ?

The turnover depends on what you are keeping, and how well the water circulates. My general rule is 30x for LPS/SPS, which I had to go a little higher in my 5.5, and there was a few months of trial and error (lol, I now have a nice assortment of funny little pumps)... If you can find a pump in thee 200-250 gph range, you can probably go without a powerhead. You will just have to see what is available to you.

For lights, I always recommend LED (I also do not know what PC lights are?)... But it might be a challenge to find something small enough to suit your needs...

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The turnover depends on what you are keeping, and how well the water circulates. My general rule is 30x for LPS/SPS, which I had to go a little higher in my 5.5, and there was a few months of trial and error (lol, I now have a nice assortment of funny little pumps)... If you can find a pump in thee 200-250 gph range, you can probably go without a powerhead. You will just have to see what is available to you.

For lights, I always recommend LED (I also do not know what PC lights are?)... But it might be a challenge to find something small enough to suit your needs...
I'll try my best to find the right pump. PC is Power Compact, it's like T5 but is more compact an gives a higher output. People used to use PC light on Nano tanks because of the small size. Also, ideal wattage and color for the LED refuge lamp?

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you're thinking 2-3 gallons for your sump? I would go as big as possible on your sump to increase system volume to help with parameter stability. You can also devote a large enough area for a refugium proportionate to your DT to have a measurable nutrient export capacity.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you're thinking 2-3 gallons for your sump? I would go as big as possible on your sump to increase system volume to help with parameter stability. You can also devote a large enough area for a refugium proportionate to your DT to have a measurable nutrient export capacity.
The problem is the stand. It can only fit 2.5 - 3 gal aquarium. Any bigger and it won't fit. Except, if I buy a cube shaped sump, which is pretty hard to find and the placement of the baffles will make acess to the equipment so much harder.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo yeah very tiny. I was going to suggest the eshopps nano sump but even that is too big. You're on the right track with the 2.5 gallon tank unless you built your own. As others have said, you can go pretty bare equipment wise, relying on water changes to keep everything in line. A little pouch of chemipure blue is the only chemical media I'd recommend. It's done wonders for the nanos I've kept over the years.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo yeah very tiny. I was going to suggest the eshopps nano sump but even that is too big. You're on the right track with the 2.5 gallon tank unless you built your own. As others have said, you can go pretty bare equipment wise, relying on water changes to keep everything in line. A little pouch of chemipure blue is the only chemical media I'd recommend. It's done wonders for the nanos I've kept over the years.
Yeah, I'll buy the tank tomorrow so, if anyone have any suggestions please comment below.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright then. What about the overflow tho...
That's an interesting alternative to drilling the tank. It might actually be better because smaller tanks typically have very thin glass and you run the risk of breaking a panel just by putting to much stress on the plumbing when it runs through the side panel.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first of all I need max filtration. If I can, I'll make it overkill. Second of all, space and budget is limited. So, I'll try make the cost as low as possible. Drilling is not an option, the tank is already setup and running with fish, corals, and inverts. I'll have to make that PVC overflow and that is the only option I have. Suggestions?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PC is Power Compact, it's like T5 but is more compact an gives a higher output. People used to use PC light on Nano tanks because of the small size. Also, ideal wattage and color for the LED refuge lamp?

Interesting, we call those compact florescent where I am from :)

A 9-12 watt LED would be enough. I used a typical off the shelf 5800K white light for the longest time with great success. However, I use something like this now (but bigger): https://www.amazon.com/QPAU-Efficie...ref_=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til&tag=tomosgard-20

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ended up buying a 5 gal tank with 800 lph pump and a 5 watt LED.
1d70f60d31a09dabf984bfae3a3fdc6a.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back