DIY Pico Sump ?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always build your own. Have a glass shop cut some 1/4" plate glass and make your sump fit your enclosure. Here is a small sump that I built from scratch for a 7 gallon nano that I had. I got the main part of the glass cut at my local glass shop and I cut all of the smaller pieces from scraps of old DIY projects.

fuge1.jpg

Operating_Sump.jpg

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always build your own. Have a glass shop cut some 1/4" plate glass and make your sump fit your enclosure. Here is a small sump that I built from scratch for a 7 gallon nano that I had. I got the main part of the glass cut at my local glass shop and I cut all of the smaller pieces from scraps of old DIY projects.

fuge1.jpg

Operating_Sump.jpg
WHOA. DUDE. That is so cool.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mechanical and chemical media did you use on that tank? Also, do you recommend Chaetomorpa or Caulerpa?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you prefer filter sock, sponge, or floss for the mechanical filtration?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used a small bag of carbon underneath the filter pad. You can see it at the lower right of the bottom picture (in my first post). I had a large skimmer that I used on this tank (about 10 times overkill). I used chaeto in the refugium.

This was the tank on top of it... Dimensions 20" x 8.5" x 10". I also built the tank.

ShoeBoxReef1-07.jpg

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used a small bag of carbon underneath the filter pad. You can see it at the lower right of the bottom picture (in my first post). I had a large skimmer that I used on this tank (about 10 times overkill). I used chaeto in the refugium.

This was the tank on top of it... Dimensions 20" x 8.5" x 10". I also built the tank.

ShoeBoxReef1-07.jpg
Oh, wow. That tank looks amazing! About carbon, is saltwater and freshwater carbon pellets different?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow. That tank looks amazing! About carbon, is saltwater and freshwater carbon pellets different?
I use the ROX 0.8 from BRS or the Reef-Spec Carbon from Red Sea. Never even looked at the fresh water carbon, so I can't say.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you mind posting step by step detailed instructions and pics? Pretty sure my son wants to eventually do a sump for the 8g biocube and go topless with it.

BeelzeBob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170812_191753_787.jpg

This is my little 10 gallon. I think that you could baffle yours very similar.

You could grab a little Sicce pump for your return.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind posting step by step detailed instructions and pics? Pretty sure my son wants to eventually do a sump for the 8g biocube and go topless with it.
Well, I basically bought an 8 gallon GEX tank. Bought some sand and rocks, put them in, scape them. Then I bought one jug of saltwater mix, a HOB filter, powerhead. After that, I poured the water into the tank and let ot cycle for 2 months while doing phantom feeding. Added fish, coral, inverts and then I realized, I NEED MORE FILTRATION. So, I bought this 5 gallon tank today with a 5 watt led and a return pump. I am planning on making a few sections with the baffles, one for mechanical and chemical filtration, another chamber for refugium with sand, live rock, and some macroalgae ( Probably Chaeto ). And the last one for the return pump and probably a DIY Protein Skimmer. I came to this forum so I can get some advice from the people here.

If your son wants to connect his biocube to a sump, he needs to drill the back of the tank, connect a bulkhead, and a return line from the sump. Should be very easy. Try searching on youtube or google.

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody here ever built a DIY Protein Skimmer before? Can you give me some details and instruction on how to build it? Anyway, thanks.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this good enough?

This is awesome, I love it!

So next up, you need to build out that fancy overflow apparatus, please keep us post with that!

Also, you will likely want at least one baffle in that sump. I would have the overflow go directly into the fuge chamber. When your Chaeto grows, it should block the micro bubbles made (caused) by the overflow, then put your ATO in the return pump chamber.

When planning the height for the baffle. keep in mind the water volume in the overflow plumbing (you need to 'reserver' that space for when the pump turns off). I buy my glass from a local distributor, look for "Glass and Mirror" shops who do custom cuts... Worse case, look for 'float glass' resellers.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody here ever built a DIY Protein Skimmer before? Can you give me some details and instruction on how to build it? Anyway, thanks.

Tanks with this little water volume almost require frequent water changes. This will negate the need to skim... However, a DIY skimmer for a tank this small requires a strong bubbler (aim for over 3 watts), a couple air stones and a collection cup. There are plenty of Youtube videos about this, you would just need to scale it down. What I do for my 1 gallon (which its flow is entirely done with a bubble), is let the bubbles skim on their own and just clean the rim of the glass when I do a water change...

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
ArialReef

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, I love it!

So next up, you need to build out that fancy overflow apparatus, please keep us post with that!

Also, you will likely want at least one baffle in that sump. I would have the overflow go directly into the fuge chamber. When your Chaeto grows, it should block the micro bubbles made (caused) by the overflow, then put your ATO in the return pump chamber.

When planning the height for the baffle. keep in mind the water volume in the overflow plumbing (you need to 'reserver' that space for when the pump turns off). I buy my glass from a local distributor, look for "Glass and Mirror" shops who do custom cuts... Worse case, look for 'float glass' resellers.
Thanks!! I'm actually going to put two baffles so I can have one more chamber for mechanical and chemical filtration if I wanted to.
Tanks with this little water volume almost require frequent water changes. This will negate the need to skim... However, a DIY skimmer for a tank this small requires a strong bubbler (aim for over 3 watts), a couple air stones and a collection cup. There are plenty of Youtube videos about this, you would just need to scale it down. What I do for my 1 gallon (which its flow is entirely done with a bubble), is let the bubbles skim on their own and just clean the rim of the glass when I do a water change...

Does that make sense?
I'll probably try making one with PVC or plastic bottles. Joey's video about making DIY Protein Skimmer gave me some inspiration. I have one question though, is wider PVC better then smaller diameter but taller PVC?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat idea. Have you picked a return pump yet? If you choose well, you may not need a powerhead in the DT. I would not go for anything larger than 200 GPH. I have a 100 in my 5.5 and it is perfect (sumpless).

Otherwise, you will need a fuge light, and plumbing. Given the small tank size, you would not need a skimmer or reactors if you do regular water changes. Thus, you could probably only get away with two chambers in the sump.

For the tank itself, I would look at small rectangular beta tanks, then buy a piece of glass from your local glass shop to fit at the baffle.

Lastly, you will want to look into an ATO, especially if you are using a sump. You can go cheap, using float switches, a relay and a $20 aqualifter dosing pump, or buy an ATO system; either will work for you.
Does this mean if he ran a slightly larger sump with a Skimmer it further reduces the need for water changes because I would take that option every day of the week. Optional less maintenance is my kind of aquarium.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on distance between your tank and the sump,will determine what size pump. Also if you don't want a pump in the display will also determine the gph. You'll have to combat head pressure,height and flow deflection of the fittings. Use 45's instead of 90's. Street (spoigot) fittings would be ideal.

I would guess somewhere between 250-300gph and you can adjust from there to dial everything in correctly.

There are also tons correct spectrum fuge lights. Reefbreeders makes one and MarineDepot,BulkReefSupply and ReefBreeders all sell the light.

Do yourself a favor,and buy decent and correct equipment once. Especially when it comes to light,pumps,heaters.

You can simply go to HomeDepot and get sheets of acrylic for about $6-$8 for a I think 12"x12" of 1/16" thick.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean if he ran a slightly larger sump with a Skimmer it further reduces the need for water changes because I would take that option every day of the week. Optional less maintenance is my kind of aquarium.
It's possible, yeah. However, before that can really be answered: Why are you doing water changes?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back